Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Home made valve oscilloscope. Version 2.0

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That's a fine bit of work you've done there.

I notice a slight rotation of the display. Is the tube not quite straight or is there some other reason?

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
I also own a soviet C1-49 oscilloscope. (1979) with it's tech manual.

It has been used very little and it is like new!

Someone offered me a trade with a Tektronix TDS3014 that i am seriusly considering.

I know that digital Oscopes are not as good as the analog but the save to floppydisk feature, the dual channel, the 100Mhz frequency and all the auto functions are temping.

What do you think ? should i trade ?

Last edited:

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
('steve') said:
I notice a slight rotation of the display. Is the tube not quite straight or is there some other reason?
Indeed it is rotated cause when I took that picture the correction coil was not connected yet. The mu-metal cone has a coil around the neck to correct the trace horizontality against deviations due to the CRT tolerances and the Earth magnetic field.
I connected this coil to the 18,9V for heater PSU, and it is adjusted via the small potentiometer above the three CRT controls (upper-left corner). This pot can only be screwdriver driven.

HellasTechn said:
I know that digital Oscopes are not as good as the analog but the save to floppydisk feature, the dual channel, the 100Mhz frequency and all the auto functions are temping.
What do you think ? should i trade ?
I don't know what to say. I love analog scopes. I have only worked with one digital one, It was good but still I prefer the analog. Maybe is just a matter of ignorance from me. One thing I can tell you is that I wouldn't like a scope with floppydisk. My memories of floppy disks is not good. They always fail, at least those of 3,5"".
Follow your heart.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
You ignorant on this ? i dont think so !

To be honest the floppy disk feature has proven very useful to me once. I hat problems with a video cync converter and i used it to take snapshots of the waveforms that later i have posted here...
Also the input signal freq range of 100Mhz compared to 10Mhz is important.

The only think that holds me back is the accuracy of the C1-49 and the fact that theese devices never fail. Never go bad and even if they do they can be repaired.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Soviet had good scopes, not so good scopes, bad scopes and then the C1-99.

I never saw any C1-99 working, despite being the lucky one who extracted about five from the crates (brand new). They showed the beam for a while, and then the beam vanished a few minutes later. Some friends of mine has the same opinion.

My memories of the C1-93, C1-83 and C1-124 are very good. My C1-94 was my workhorse, althought it is an educational type. I used while I could.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
No experience on C1-49 though huh ?

Theese devices remind me of the Delorean !

theese are what i call the romantic times of electronics.

Technology now has become very unfriendly to the technician.

Last edited:

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
HellasTechn said:
Theese devices remind me of the Delorean !
Yeah, yeah, but anyway I'm not interested on going back to the future. :D

HellasTechn said:
Technology now has become very unfriendly to the technician.
Yes, not funny anymore. That's why I love vintage.

Best Regards

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Such as Titanic's :D

radioroom2.jpg