Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Honda ES6500 Generator -- Hard to start

HondaGenTexas

Apr 16, 2023
Hi Group -- I have an older model Honda ES6500 Generator that I got about 6 years ago from a pawn shop just before Hurricane Harvey hit in Kingwood, Texas. Every month or so, I fire it up and let it run for 30 mins. Lately, it has been having difficulty starting. If I give the starter housing a couple of whacks with a hammer, it seems to loosen things up and it fires up after a bit and stays running beautifully.

Question: Do I need to replace the starter? Or is something else going on? Does the Stator need to be replaced?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated ...

Jay.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
If tapping the starter makes it work, then the most likely problem is worn brushes.
Tapping jiggles the worn brushes in their holders and the springs push them back into contact with the armature commutator. Usually will only get one or two starts before you have to do it again.
Be careful how hard you tap as many of these small starters have magnets instead of field coils. Break a magnet and the starter is stuffed.

My suggestion would be to remove the starter and dismantle it. You can then see if it just needs new brushes. May need a new starter if the commutator is too badly worn.