Maker Pro
Maker Pro

horizantial lines/waves from bottom to top on lcd monitor

computer-joe

Oct 6, 2016
i have a LG Flatron W2242TQ that has horizontal waves/lines from the bottom to top of the monitor

what exactly is causing this? another of my monitors is doing this also,

video below

https://streamable.com/tuqm7

update! i plugged the monitor into a different outlet and it doesn't happen

so its the electric outlet that is causing this, what exactly does this mean

help!

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir computer-joe . . . . . . .

( you just might omit the " computer " reference, unless that is relevent to operational rather than technical analytical skills . )
[I'm jes' messin' wit yer mind . . . .he . . . .he ]

" i have a LG Flatron W2242TQ that has horizontal waves/lines from the bottom to top of the monitor "
Notice that the pair / sets s l o w l y drift up to the top of the screen and repllicate themselves by coming up from the bottom of the screen.
That's what is called AC line induced hum bars. I couldn't get a complete total count of the bars . . .as per being in excess of the two being on the screen at the same time. Also the displays line and frame frequencies that it is set up for, would be relevant.
With you being Amerikanski, as your locale shows.. . . . .tells us that . . . .
You will have AC power coming into the house and it is being 3 lines with a full 220V across circuitry which demands that high of a voltage but is also sub divided as two 120V lines for all of the rest of the houses lighting and outlets.
Then the two lines are fed to circuit breakers 6 ? 8 ? 10 ? 12 ?14 and those outputs divide to balance their outputs to feed the multiple lighting and AC wall outlet sites thru the house.
Looks like when you plug your monitor into an outlet that is fed by ONE of those unaffected 120 v source, all is well. On the other 120V source I would suspect that something that you have plugged into it, is putting that trashy line interference on all of the outlets fed from THAT 120V source.

You could put the monitor on the BAD wall outlet . . .and be prepared for inter phone communication or SHOUTING communication, while someone temporarily trips a single breaker position for a short time . You listen for his shout at each breaker trip time and tell him to advance if the interference remains.
Be prepared for the monitor to die for that instant he trips its line feed.
Finally you will have found the breaker with the offending / interfering line feeds . . . . to then track down what it feeds.
You unplug things that are fed into that line to see if the inteference stops.
One consideration is that the offender might be on the shared lines that the computer is fed from , when that one breaker simultaneously stops both the monitor and the offenders line feed.
You remember that I said that instead of a breaker for every light or outlet there will be 2 or 3 lines sharing a breaker.

Now . . . lets have two of ye, go forth and Testee-------TESTEE . . . .

Or as Algonquin J Calhoun would say . . . . . . Now listen heah, Andy . . . .Lets figger out who gonna be the TESTEE and who gonna be the TESTOR ?

73's de Edd . . . . .

As could have been expected . . . . . . . Pessimists have already begun to worry about what is going to replace automation and AI..

Last edited: