Maker Pro
Maker Pro

hot plate quit- no power

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
People,

have a hot plate that quit all of a sudden. Opened it up, with switch on (knob which turns clockwise), no voltage at 2 wire terminals . Doesnt this mean the wire has to be bad, and not at this blame the turn knob? (photo atached)

Attachments

• burner.jpg
    burner.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 166

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Use the "go advanced" option and then use the paperclip icon to attach a larger image.

If that fails, store your image on some external site and just post the link.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Like *steve* said, can't see your picture very well (too small).
Having repaired a lot of hot plates, I'll offer this:
Wires don't go bad, but they break, or break mostly at the electrical connections.
Check the ends of the wires to make sure they're connected. (or for breaks in the wire).
The other things to check, are the switch itself, and the guaranteed to be there, thermal fuse that's
in-line with the heating wire, ...which is the most likely cause.

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
thnaks, people. I will try the picture idea, and also check the terminals, etc.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
you are only uploading a thumbnail sized image

I assume you have an image ~ the 640 x 480 pixel in size ?

Dave

Last edited:

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
thanks, dave, for the advice on pixel size- but maybe this will get to the meat of it- I did manage to check ohms on the 2 lines, and whopee- found a break!! Wow, so impressed...LOL
Looks like one leg of the plug is showing 0.6 ohms (good), but the other leg checks out Ok UNTIL you get the the end where the 110v live turns into the "heat rated" line(?), which shows infinity! yes, the other line is good up to the control knob.

So, doesnt this mean I have a break/bad line there? And Im guessing, its not worth soldering on a new one. right (thee sections (about 5") are special, heat rated lines that may not be worth the headache/expense in obtaining)??

Thnaks,, people.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
COULD be a break in the wire, but I still think you're missing the most probable
cause, a thermal fuse. Is there asphestos-type covering over one of the ends
of the connection to the actual nichrome heating element wire? Maybe you could
pull back any insulating covering, and find the thermal fuse.

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
COULD be a break in the wire, but I still think you're missing the most probable
cause, a thermal fuse. Is there asphestos-type covering over one of the ends
of the connection to the actual nichrome heating element wire? Maybe you could
pull back any insulating covering, and find the thermal fuse.

yes, there is a thermal/asbestos like sheath covering the entire "heat" line. But doesnt "feel" like theres a fuse under there. Could there be?? So thin? OK, I'll go back out there, dig it out of the trash barrell, and cut the sheath..........

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
Holy cow, shrt, youre right!! There is a fuse tucked inside there! Its a tiny one, it says "157 deg C, 10A, C0350 fuse". other print/letters but cant tell- faded. may not be important(?).
Now, is it wort it to get new? Where can one get a fuse? $$? It seems its just crimped on.