Maker Pro
Maker Pro

House vs apartment

theromantrs

Mar 19, 2023
Hi there :) I know it might be off-topic (sorry in advance if it's posted in a wrong thread). Just want to start an opened discussion and discuss cons and pros for owning / renting house and apartment. What are your thoughts on that?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You joined an electronics forum to ask about housing?.
If you can afford a mortgage, buy a property (house or apartment). If you can’t afford a mortgage, rent a house or apartment and pay the ‘owners’ mortgage!.

Martin

theromantrs

Mar 19, 2023
You joined an electronics forum to ask about housing?.
If you can afford a mortgage, buy a property (house or apartment). If you can’t afford a mortgage, rent a house or apartment and pay the ‘owners’ mortgage!.

Martin
Nah I just wanted to ask about your experience, not from financial point of view. The reason why I have started this topic is the following: it's a common idea that house requires more maintenance and work around than apartment. My parents moved to a house and now doing renovation [mod edit: link removed] This is what I want to figure out from your perspective + if any electronics maintenance should be done. That's all. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Electronic maintenance of the house only if it came with connectivity throughout the entire house like every room with the latest and greatest interconnects for Wi-Fi for streaming for security fiber optics then yes electronic maintenance would be a priority.
As far as the apartment's go you are not allowed to do jack, that is... it's not your property you do not own it or pay the bank towards owning it. All you must do is just maintain it. I am in my late twenties I live in an apartment and I also own a house. I rent it out. I used to live in my house for a year but it was too big the maintenance is a labor of love so to speak cuz you can decide what to do and when to do it. I'm single and I am rarely at my apartment.
Let's face it,vinyl plank flooring is not hardwood, and never will be. Can’t be refinished and won’t be for everyone, especially if you go to sell the home.
But if I were to get a dog or a couple of dogs I would quickly pull out the hardwood and put in vinyl plank flooring because my wife and my six children would be so messy but that's just me dreaming again. Correction: my six wives and my one child would be so messy. And the dogs would have the run of the house.:p

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Totally agree with above statement.
An apartment is not ‘freehold’, normally only ‘leasehold’. ‘Common hold’ is similar to lease but without a time limit.
So, you own the property but not the land it’s on.
Where as freehold, you own the land too.
Maintenance depends on age and quality of the property.
Some require very little maintenance while others are money pits!.

Martin

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
The land the house mineral rights is all inherited. I was literally... grandfathered in.
The only way to get me out is for the city to declare imminent domain and acquirer the property for public use.
But none of this matters to me...I'm too busy sewing my wild oats and praying for a bad harvest. :p

Alexixx

Apr 1, 2023
I personally have been renting an apartment for 10 years. I am satisfied with everything. I live alone. If you don't want to save for a long time for your own apartment or house, or take a loan, this is the best option.
If the question is where it is better to live, in an apartment or a private home. Then it's up to each person individually. I personally feel more comfortable in an apartment.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
The worst thing I found about living in an apartment is noisy neighbors, where the sound (loud voices and/or music) comes through the walls, and also hearing people on the floor above walking around or doing exercising (ten minutes of jumping jacks can drive you crazy).

It could be OK if the walls and ceilings are properly soundproofed, but I never lived in one that was.
Renting a condo would probably not have a sound problem, since they are usually double-wall sound insulated. I think.

Alexixx

Apr 1, 2023
The worst thing I found about living in an apartment is noisy neighbors, where the sound (loud voices and/or music) comes through the walls, and also hearing people on the floor above walking around or doing exercising (ten minutes of jumping jacks can drive you crazy).

It could be OK if the walls and ceilings are properly soundproofed, but I never lived in one that was.
Renting a condo would probably not have a sound problem, since they are usually double-wall sound insulated. I think.
Well, the neighbors are... And when they do repairs at night, it's a real treat.

theromantrs

Mar 19, 2023
I only intended to inquire about your personal experience, not in terms of finances. The motive behind bringing up this topic is the general notion that a house necessitates more upkeep and effort compared to an apartment. Currently, my parents are renovating [Mod edit: commercial link removed] their house and I am interested to know your viewpoint on this matter, along with any advice on electronic maintenance that may be required. That is all, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: