Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How difficult to have a microphone made

Georgevan

Feb 9, 2022
I lost most of my hearing in recent years so I use the transcribe app on my cellphone to read what people are saying to me. Problem is the microphone has to be real close to them for the words to transcribe in written form on my cellphone. Because of my work environment I can't sit near enough for the transcribe to work. So I have to find a way to amplify the mic to bring in sound from greater distance. Anyone have any ideas?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Not really. Amplifying the mic means amplifying the extraneous noise(s) that you DON'T want, too. This is why microphones are used close to the speaking person.

Try using the headphone/mic lead that most phones are supplied with - give the mic to the other party and hold the phone yourself.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
All people interviewed on TV have the microphone hidden far away so that all we hear is echo, echo, echo, echo, echo, echo, echo.

My hearing aids automatically boost low level voices and reduce the level of loud sounds. They also beam into the direction of somebody talking anywhere around me so that most background noises are blocked. A button is used to turn off these tricks for me to hear music normally.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
You could try a Unidirectional microphone. They are designed to have a narrow acceptance angle so that the majority of the signal comes from straight ahead with very little coming from the periphery. Some form of amplification may be required but would be quite straightforward.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The link shows a "dynamic" mic but a smartphone has biasing for an electret mic. The biasing might prevent a dynamic mic from working properly.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The audio spec's are missing since Amazon only cares about the size and weight.

Georgevan

Feb 9, 2022
I did get a mic that increases the distance the sound received but it isn't quite enough for my purposes at work. I need to bring in the sound at. A greater distance. The mic I got is a Saramonic from Best Buy. Anyone know of a stronger mic.?

Georgevan

Feb 9, 2022
what i need is a microphone that is stronger than a Saramonic(Best Buy). It has to fit an Android cell phone with a USB port. Is that a project that is beyond what most people with electronic expertise are capable of?

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Physically stronger? In what way?

Saramonic
Googled this. They have a range. You had one, or a use case in mind?
Are we talking audio range? HiFi? infrasound?

Is that a project that is beyond what most people with electronic expertise are capable of?
Yep. Generally. Needs lots of little bits to be developed and made.
Also a one-off will cost more than a mass-produced one. There are lots of mics out there. Would be surprised if there isn't one that suits, if your intended use has been seen before.

Would a custom housing for more standard microphone inserts or components maybe do?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
It has to fit an Android cell phone with a USB port.
Do you mean it has to be small enough to fit inside the phone, or simply have a USB plug for plugging into the phone's USB port?

Georgevan

Feb 9, 2022
Physically stronger? In what way?

Googled this. They have a range. You had one, or a use case in mind?
Are we talking audio range? HiFi? infrasound?

Yep. Generally. Needs lots of little bits to be developed and made.
Also a one-off will cost more than a mass-produced one. There are lots of mics out there. Would be surprised if there isn't one that suits, if your intended use has been seen before.

Would a custom housing for more standard microphone inserts or components maybe do?
Don't know. How big would it be?

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Simply have a USB plug
Looking to plug this in and have a wire to the mic part?
Or perhaps, just something that sits right there on the usb socket?

I Googled usb mic for phone & got quite a few hits, the likes of lapel mics and such.
I'm not really sure what you're looking for, as in the application, record what?, or "stronger" in what way, so a little difficult to work out what might help.
A guy I work with does highly directional active mics for drones. By stronger do you want more sensitive? or physically stronger, more robust? in that you want to be able to drop it a few times?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
@Georgevan : Please stop continuously creating new threads which are all about the same issue: a better directional microphone for your smartphone. By splitting your request across several threads you are not going to receive "better" answers.
I merged the posts from your other threads here.

Georgevan

Feb 9, 2022
@Georgevan : Please stop continuously creating new threads which are all about the same issue: a better directional microphone for your smartphone. By splitting your request across several threads you are not going to receive "better" answers.
I merged the posts from your other threads here.
I thought one of my threads wasn't being posted so I redid it.