Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How do I reset a scd power 832 when both key pads are locked in program mode

rich0

Jun 11, 2019
i have connected zone 1 to pgm1 and powered up never get led 1 to light but program lights up but keyboard is locked

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
DSC Power 832 is actually a series rather than a model nomenclature. It's almost always a model PC5010, which you'll find printed on the door of the steel cabinet that houses the Control Panel. If the model number is something else, this would be the time to mention it. It might be helpful to have a picture or model number for the keypad, so I'll know what you're working with.

From the PC5010 Installation Manual:
1. Remove AC and battery power from the panel.
2. Remove all wires from the zone 1 and PGM1 terminals.
3. With a piece of wire short the zone 1 terminal to the PGM1 terminal.
4. Apply AC power to the main panel.
5. When zone light 1 is lit on the keypad the default is complete.
6. Remove AC power from the control
7. Reconnect all original wiring and power up the control.
NOTE: AC power must be used to power the panel. The panel will not default if the battery is used

Did you follow each of these steps faithfully? Sometimes a newbie will unplug the Panel without removing battery power. The panel isn't powered down unless both the 16.5VAC transformer and the battery is unplugged. Also step 2 is critical: Any wires left on the Z1 or PGM1 terminals provide a path to ground that prevents the defaulting process.

I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't ask why you're returning your panel to factory defaults. I've seen a lot of DIYers try to fix problem behavior in a system by defaulting the Panel programming; but the vast majority of problems come from hardware, not software. Defaulting a panel and reprogramming everything from scratch is a lot of work, and it won't fix a hardware problem (e.g., a loose connection to a keypad that keeps the KP from working properly; just to name one out of ten thousand potential hardware problems).

If you're programming a new panel, defaulting it first is a good idea, to remove any residual settings that may have gotten into the program.
Or, if this is an already-installed and working system, but you've lost the Installer Code, defaulting to factory programming is about the only realistic option to regain it---although it will also mean that you'll have to reprogram all your other settings from scratch---Which is why I'm curious why you're defaulting it?

Last edited:

richard0

Jun 12, 2019
Tried reset as book calls for but keyboards remain locked ,one in progtam mode

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010

Good find on the video, Harald. I've never seen a DSC 5010 Panel defaulted that way, but that's probably because I've worked exclusively in North America. Alarm panels used in the UK and Europe, and presumably Eastern Europe, have different standards and I'm guessing that the panel in the video was made for use in Czechia, and its firmware is sightly different from our North American panels.

OP had indicated that he's using LED keypads and the video uses an Alpha Keypad, so he won't get the same feedback during the procedure. Also, the video is for resetting the panel to default values when you have the Installer/Programming Code, and do not need to power down the system. OP has indicated he tried a power cycle with hardware short procedure, which usually is only done when the Installer/Programming code is not known.

In the OP's earlier thread (posted in Troubleshooting and Repair, as it should be), when I answered his earlier post....
i have connected zone 1 to pgm1 and powered up never get led 1 to light but program lights up but keyboard is locked
I didn't stop to consider that OP might be posting from the UK or Europe, so that's my bad.

@richard0: It would be a lot easier to help you if you tell us where you're posting from. Not all DSC Power 832 (aka PC5010) Control Panels have the same firmware and software in their programming.

Also: Why are you defaulting your panel? Is this a new installation, or an attempt to fix a problem in an existing system?
Did your keypads work okay before you tried the default procedure? The default procedure assumes you have keypads that are working normally.

Please let me know what is going on, and I'll try to help.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
In the OP's earlier thread (posted in Troubleshooting and Repair, as it should be), when I answered his earlier post....

thanks

merged the 2 threads
Looks like the OP lost his original; login and created a new member registration

Dave