Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How do I wire a BMP085 Barometric Pressure Sensor?

Vagulus

May 6, 2018
I would like to include a BMP085 sensor in a weather station project build around an Arduino Pro Mini breakout. Sadly, the link from Core Electronics leads to a datasheet for the Chip itself, not the breakout. Can someone please tell me how to wire this little beastie into a Pro Mini?
Thanks

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I would like to include a BMP085 sensor in a weather station project build around an Arduino Pro Mini breakout. Sadly, the link from Core Electronics leads to a datasheet for the Chip itself, not the breakout. Can someone please tell me how to wire this little beastie into a Pro Mini?
Thanks
A breakout board typically just brings out the pins in a more hobbyist friendly form (like DIL). The datasheet should tell you all you need.

Bob

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Sadly, the link from Core Electronics leads to a datasheet for the Chip itself, not the breakout.

As @BobK said ... all the info is in the datasheet ... the chip pins are identified. There 7 out of the 8 pins are used (pin 5 in not connected)

you can easily trace those IC pins to the header pin connector and problem of pin ID is solved

as far as connecting to the Arduino Pro Mini goes, that isn't my field .... does the Arduino Pro Mini handle an I2C Bus ?

Dave

Vagulus

May 6, 2018
I am an extreme beginner in this sort of stuff so, Bluejets I do not appreciate the significance of i2c. What's that all about?

I have to ask BobK and davenn whether we are reading the same thing (see attached file). I don't see anything that identifies 7 out of 8 pins. Maybe that's just me being an electronic dyslexic, but I don't see anything. Can you be a little more explicit?
Thanks

Attachments

• BMP085.pdf
    307.7 KB · Views: 38

bushtech

Sep 13, 2016
Getting into the habit of reading the Table of Contents (page 4) is usually a great start

Vagulus

May 6, 2018
First bit of the link says" i2c"
I looked up Wikipedia in i2c and it is way too sophisticated for me to grasp at this stage. However, I get the impression that the Auruino Pro Mini is not i2c-capable. It does not have pins designated SCL or SDA.
Is that right?

Vagulus

May 6, 2018
Page 18 of your attached file gives the pinouts
I figured out why I didn't get that far in the documentation. I had realized that the documentation was for the IC itself, not the breakout I was intending to use (BMP085 sensor) so the pinouts on page 18 weren't what I was looking for. :rolleyes:

No harm done. I'm using a different breakout now - one I can get some documentation for. :)

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I looked up Wikipedia in i2c and it is way too sophisticated for me to grasp at this stage. However, I get the impression that the Auruino Pro Mini is not i2c-capable. It does not have pins designated SCL or SDA.
Is that right?
You will quickly learn that in electronics there are no shortcuts if you want to educate yourself.

Promini pinout attached.
A4 .....SDA
A5 ..... SCL

Attachments

• prominiv3_0.pdf
    664.6 KB · Views: 55

Vagulus

May 6, 2018
You will quickly learn that in electronics there are no shortcuts if you want to educate yourself.
That's true in other fields than electronics ;)
[QUOTE="Bluejets, post: 1766426, member: 37203"
Promini pinout attached.
A4 .....SDA
A5 ..... SCL[/QUOTE]
Well ... I've seen a pile of Pro Mini diagrams but never seen that info.
Thanks

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Devices that use I2C and the Arduino usually have 'sketches' to accompany them - these are short programs that you can embed into your own application and modify to get the data you want.

Vagulus

May 6, 2018
Thanks hevans1944. That's a nice clear diagram. They're hard to find.