Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How does a GPS receiver/transmitter (transceiver) work on a circuit board?

MadeleineRS

Jan 6, 2017
Yes, if all you want is a high pitched sound, the piezo buzzer is ideal. They can be very small and loud and efficient,

How you program the cpu depends on what type you use. For this app, I would think microcontroller would be sufficient and they are very low cost, low power. Cell phones use a more sophisticated microprocessor, but that is because they do so much more than you need.

Microcontrollers are typically programmed by a programmer that connects to a PC via USB.

Bob

Thanks Bob! So how would the micro-controller fit into the block diagram above?

MadeleineRS

Jan 6, 2017
It is the cpu.

Bob

Hi again, I'm back with some more questions... (Sorry!)

So I've kind of finalised the components I will need and they are listen below:

· CPU/ Micro controller (to program it?)

· Piezoelectric Buzzer (to emit alarm)

· LED (to indicate power on/off and charging)

· Battery management

o Battery

o Charging circuit integrated in circuit board

· GPS module (connects to satellites for trilateration)

· GSM Module (Cellular communication part, it would use a sim card to connect with a carrier and connect to local telephone masts for assisted GPS).

I was just wondering will a CPU/micro controller be able to power all of these components i.e. the buzzer and the LED light?

And also can a charging circuit be integrated into the whole circuit board rather than having two separate circuit boards? (This might be a silly question, I'm assuming you can literally have everything connected to a singular circuit board...)

Many thanks,

Maddie

MadeleineRS

Jan 6, 2017
Update: Also how would the LED fit into the block diagram?

Many thanks,

Maddie

MadeleineRS

Jan 6, 2017
Update: Would an Audrino micro controller be suitable for this application? I've been looking into micro controllers but all of them look fairly large and wouldn't be able to fit within the dimensions of a ski pole handle...

Thanks again,

Maddie

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
An Arduino is a microcontroller plus a lot of other stuff. Microcontroller chips can be as small as a couple of mm square.

Bob

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
I was just wondering will a CPU/micro controller be able to power all of these components i.e. the buzzer and the LED light?
It depends on what you mean by that. It's GPIO ports may or may not be able to power those component themselves, but it will be easy to get the CPU to make them run.

And also can a charging circuit be integrated into the whole circuit board rather than having two separate circuit boards? (This might be a silly question, I'm assuming you can literally have everything connected to a singular circuit board...)
All that stuff can easily fit onto a circuit board, but whether they will all fit onto a circuit board that will fit in your mechanical design might be a different question. In other words, there's no electrical or board fabrication reason they couldn't all fit, but you'd have to get into the actual details of designing the thing before you'll know how it will all fit in your product.