Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How does my Ikea lamp work?

monkeybanana

Jan 21, 2012
Hello everyone,

This is a little random but here's the deal: I love thinking about power transmission and while I was sitting on my sofa looking up information about my power outlet I noticed and started to admire my little Ikea Espressivo lamp. I was hoping some of you could help me understand physics a little more.

So what I notice in the base is that there is only a transformer. Two wires connect to the telescoping stands which is are not insulated and at the other end two wires connect to the bulb. Here are my main questions:

Why is it that when I touch both of the stands I do not get electrocuted? I put some probes right on both stands and got about 11.5 Vrms. The current reading is real low: about 40 micro amps I think. Of course I'm trying to measure AC. Regardless, I thought that decreasing the voltage should increase current. So does that mean that the halogen bulb has a high resistance to protect from shock?

I have enclosed some pictures. They are not the best but hopefully you can see what I am trying to describe.

Thanks!

edit: Is there a way I can edit my typo in the title? I don't have a lam but a lamp

Attachments

• IMG_1283.jpg
    IMG_1283.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1281.jpg
    IMG_1281.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_1286.jpg
    IMG_1286.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
11.5V will not electrocute you.

You cannot measure the current by clipping onto the two leads. You have to break one of them and put the meter in series with it. I am sure you would read 1 or more amps that way.

Bob

monkeybanana

Jan 21, 2012
11.5V will not electrocute you.

You cannot measure the current by clipping onto the two leads. You have to break one of them and put the meter in series with it. I am sure you would read 1 or more amps that way.

Bob

You're right. I should have known that bc that's some basic electronics stuff. I was also trying to see if I could put something in parallel with the bulb and do something with the lamp for fun.

I would expect maybe some shock from this set up though

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would expect that there is something there which limits the current. I suspect the transformer is designed in such a way that a short will not cause it to lose its smoke (how else could you place the supply rails on uninsulated exposed metal?)

Certainly seems to be designed to a price point...