Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How does opening a car door work?

revv

Jun 16, 2012
Hello firstly let me just say I have a very limited understanding of electronics.

I tried searching but cannot find anything I am looking for but what I am wondering is if anyone has a video or illustration ahd even maybe a simple explanation of how a (radio wave?) or electromagnetic wave unlocks a car door, like what exactly happens for example: a electromagnetic wave is produced (or is it a radio wave in this case?) and then it reaches the car's door what happens?

I hope I made it clear as to what I am saying, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Last edited:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A radio wave is an electromagnetic wave.
The key contains a radio transmitter which is activated when a button is pressed.
The car contains a radio receiver, probably in the dash board which will unlock the doors when it gets the right code. The radio wave does not activate the door directly.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
just to repeat what duke37 said ......

The transmitter in the key fob sends out a coded signal. The receiver in the car decodes the signal, determnes if it is the right signal for that car, then sends out control signals to the car door mechanism to either lock or unlock the door. That is done by a motor moving a lever in the locking mechanism inside the door.

ak

Last edited by a moderator: