Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How does this cable connect exactly?

tobindax

Nov 19, 2016
I opened an earphone case to fix a cable that was losing connection, and I noticed one of the two cables is a blue that doesn't seem to have any visible copper in it, it does not short-circuit if the two wires touch each other, but after I cut the colored opened it does not appear to have any copper in it, so I wonder how does it connect to the end?

b3R7xay.png
0yyYYzb.png
9nbC3Eu.png

tobindax

Nov 19, 2016
That wasn't easy to solder at all. It's as if the copper-colored one can easily conduct but the blue one conducts only with the solder.

Last edited by a moderator:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Looks like all is well with the COPPER colored stranded wire, but the BLUE stranded wire looks to have broken and pulled up within its secondary, clear colored insulative shell.
That leaves a pulled up BLUE stranded wire set within the clear insulative shell.
I would say that if you might go up from the blue end about an 1/8---1/4 of an inch and cut away the clear coating, so that you would then be able to see the blue wires end.
You then heat up a solder blob and place the blue wire end in that blob while continuing heating the blob,then add some fresh solder, I then certainly think that BLUE wire is having Soldereze insulation, so that it both pulls back up the wire and melts and you should soon see a tinned wire end.
Then, solder the BLUE wire back to its break away point.

73s de Edd

tobindax

Nov 19, 2016
That's not the issue. Those cables have a particular technology that does not contact at all, or almost at all, unless it's soldered. It's as if they are designed to be both (not just the gold-looking one) in contact with each other and then directly soldered.

I wonder what that tech is.

tobindax

Nov 19, 2016

Here is a googled picture of how those weird things look in general, especially the right ones, but maybe also the ones on the left.

tobindax

Nov 19, 2016
I heard they might be called magnet wires? Line thin strains with insulation weaved together. Sounds expensive to make, a pain to deal without solder but probably convenient to avoid shorts in those small scales.

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
"Magnet wire" is solid wire with an enamel coating for insulation.

Ken

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That's not the issue. Those cables have a particular technology that does not contact at all, or almost at all, unless it's soldered. It's as if they are designed to be both (not just the gold-looking one) in contact with each other and then directly soldered.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I heard they might be called magnet wires?

any enamelled wire if commonly referred to as magnet wire ... it's nothing special and isn't magnetic

Line thin strains with insulation weaved together.

thin wires and thin strands of nylon intertwined make very flexible cables, purpose made for headphones, microphone headsets etc
the enamel coating on the wire is the insulation

Sounds expensive to make,

naaaa easy

you have no idea how wrong that sounds -- really doesn't make sense ... hence steve's mild sarcasm response ;)

Dave

12vdc

Apr 13, 2011
2 cents, the Chinese masters of cheap have decided that most cheap ear buds headset have 2 strands of wire in a sheath both coated with some insulating film, colour denoting polarity. I just take a knife and scrape the coating then solder, but use real solder, (not the new environmentally friendly stuff)