Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how many amps does it take to kill someone?

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
I know the body is a heavy resistor, but I dont know how much ohms it is.

But how many amps does it take it to kill you, after the resistance is taken into account?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I know the body is a heavy resistor, but I dont know how much ohms it is.
Depends between which parts you measure. Less from one finger to another fonger of the same hand, more from head to toe...
More detail in this article.

But how many amps does it take it to kill you
Depends on where the current flows and of the type of current: AC vs. DC.
Typical RCDs trigger at >= 30 mA. This is considered a limit above which the current can be lethal.
More information can be found e.g. in this article.
after the resistance is taken into account?
Resistance is comparatively irrelevant, it is the current that kills.
Of course, if the resistance is high, the dissipated power is also high as per P = I² × R and this power can add to the killing e.g. by burning flesh, skin and organs.

Better not find your personal limits through experiment. Keep it save, keep away from dangerous currents and/or voltages.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
current=voltage/resistance.
Completely right, but your question was
how many amps does it take it to kill you
There is no reference to voltage. Depending on the circumstances a low voltage can create a high current (e.g. through wet skin) or a very high voltage can be harmless (e.g. if the internal resistance of the voltage source is very high).
Lastly it is the current that kills, not the voltage.

ivak245

Jun 11, 2021
"It's the volts that jolts, and the mils that kills." A small current will stop your heart beating, but if you have enough voltage AND current, (like, say a lightning bolt), you will turn into a burnt sausage.