Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How many bloody cells???

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
This is probably common knowledge to knowledgable people, but for us amateurs, the omission of such simple but seemingly necessary pieces of information really f***ing gets on my tits!

Anyway to the point - I bought a bunch of SLA batteries as backup power for this heat pad thing I'm working on and I was looking for the charging information. It's detailed enough - gives everything in volts per cell, but does not at any time mention how many cells are in the dam thing! All I can figure out is that numbers such as 1.75, 2.3 etc. for a 6V battery tell me there is more than 1.

Here is the datasheet: http://www.rapidonline.com/pdf/18-1138.pdf

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
you shouldnt really need the number of cells, or the voltage per cell, its not like you are going to take the cells out to charge them or anything. if you have a 6V battery thats 12Ah just charge it at 6V 1A for 12 hours or something similar to that...

Though being lead acid batteries you could charge it at 7 or even 8 volts for a long time and not really have to worry about it.

Car batteries are 12 Volts but they will range from 8-18 depending on the size of the alternator and the drain on it.

One could probably figure out the number of cells based on the charge times and the voltages but it would not be a definite answer

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
You can usually count the number of cells by just looking at the mold imperfections and waver of the battery housing... Just run a light across it, generally the indivual cell spacing will be obvious...

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Uh... its not going to be 3, the voltage per cell as listed puts the battery at either 4 or 5 cells, and then for capacity its probably somewhere in the 9-12 cell range, probably more than that even

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A lead/acid battery will have 2V/cell so a 12V battery will have 6 cells.
Car 12V batteries are charged between 13.8 and 14.4 volts. With a sealed lead/acid battery which cannot have water added, I would charge to 14V.