Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how much amps comes out of the headphone jack of a computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
So I know its variable, it depends if ur using asio at full volume, or some windows desktop sound amplifier,

but what is it usually? or at max volume using some external sound amp system that jacks up the windows sound?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
how much amps....
That statement doesn't 'compute'...

Have you ever heard of Google?

As a starting point....

(1) there is no DC component (i.e. it's AC coupled)
(2) the 'power' level depends on the signal/level being generated and the load attached.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Now! it's my turn to run amok on your post that's right! I got it like that!
This is going to get ugly.
There's no standard for headphone audio levels but I'm thinking it's line output.That is ...Commercial line out specification is to be able to drive 1 milliwatt to a 600 ohm load. For a sine wave, this means a voltage of 0.77 volts RMS (2.2 volts peak-to-peak) and a current of 1.3 milliamperes RMS.
:mad:

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
only 1.3 milliamps? an arduino can output more power than that!!!

I thought it was going to be an amp from what I was doing with it!!! when u have the watts and the load, its very hard to compute what the amps are going to be, because it ends being having to compute a square root and u can only Newton Iterate it, unless u know how to compute the curve!!!!
(is that right?)

So, let me have a go at it. 1 milliwatt, at 600 ohms.

0.001w/ 0.6v = 0.0016. 0.6v/600o = 0.001a
0.001w/ 0.66v = 0.0015 ... oh yeh. 0.77. (thats what u said.)

thats not very loud! but i can hear it through a speaker without an amp!

but funnily, i can put it through less ohms and i get a louder signal, so thats why i thought it was an amp at 1 volt!

so it actually has a resistance to it, I dont understand what kellys_eye is saying when u say its ac coupled. does it involve a capacitor?

so if its only less than 10 milliamps, then i can put pretty heavy resistors on what im doing to keep up with that.

so maybe 20 milliamps is alot louder than what comes out of the headphone jack? (I know its not dc, but it can be dc cancelled with some amount of amp in one direction.)

So thats what I need to do!!!! I have to see if I can not cancel a certain resistance, and then there should be no output from the speaker if im too heavy and the ac cant operate the speaker anymore. (if theres a coupling capacitor.)

I swear its more than a volt tho, because it seems to be able to half work with diodes from my experiments.

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Super capacitors usually only go to 2.5v.

But there may be a way to get 1000 volts, and it lasting 1000x longer
So I know its variable, it depends if ur using asio at full volume, or some windows desktop sound amplifier
Get the popcorn! The above quotes can go on and on. The point is... you normally start off by asserting you already know what is going on.
How can you possibly learn electronics you already know so much.
Your cup is filled with your knowledge of electronics. It is hopeless! No one can teach you... & you cannot be taught...If your cup is already full. If you wish to learn electronics... You must empty your cup. What say you? Now you know what you must do. Everyone has been given you just enough rope so you can hang yourself and you do every time. But with time comes change it's up to you.
If you keep on the way you are going. You will be mocking us you will be mocking an entire profession & the individuals who only wish is...to honestly convey information to those who seek it. And that'll piss me off.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
You will be mocking us you will be mocking an entire profession & the individuals who only wish is...to honestly convey information to those who seek it. And that'll piss me off.
I've said this more than once within this forum - if the content of his last post STILL isn't enough evidence I really don't know what he'll have to post to finally get the point over. He's a troll - end of.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
I'm not a troll, this is honestly just my best bet at things, I'm sorry if it comes off as me just being a retard on purpose.

But on my computer tomorrow, I'm putting out my electrostatic actuator (into my script cadder), I'm going to print out the moulds, cast the bastard in my cheapo material - hammer 10,000 volts in it and make sure i dont touch the terminals with my naked fingers. With a bit of luck I'll be dead as far as u are concerned, but this is important business worth the danger.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
No one wants to see you hurt. But you're hurting us with your ramblings don't you think of anybody else but yourself. If it's a matter of not being able to acquire the materials to learn electronics or to play around with them I have a bunch of breadboards lot of components now it's not the time to be shy!
I have no problem shipping it to you.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
That sounds quite inviting, I just saw this dreamy vid of a guy making an E.L. (its like a computer screen) from scratch with nothing but raw materials. and that's where the big guys are, they get stuff for ABSOLUTE nothing, and that's what I wanna be. With my computer made out of muck, cause I just wanted to see some guy do it, but the guy was me.

Status
Not open for further replies.