Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how often..

anwaypasible

Jun 3, 2013
i cant afford to work on my curious note, and i havent gone to school for it yet either (looking to start in the winter, but i think fall hours are closing next month and i missed the window).

say you want to replace some capacitors & transistors in an amplifier to lower the distortion, causing the whole amplifier to sound better than it did before..

how often does the preamp section forbid such modifications?

i'm not here to lie to you..
i'm nervou about overly complicated looking circuits.
i see there are the capacitors and transistors.. but then a boat load of other small things as if somebody had a bucket of toys they let spill onto the circuit board and they jst tacked 'em in.

i am not up to replacing all of those little pieces to get a lower final distortion.
( a second question ... would it be necessary? )

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The audio amplifier will have been designed by people who know what they are doing. The design will be a compromise between complexity (cost), power output and distortion.

If you wish to do cheaper and better then you will have to do a lot of learning.

anwaypasible

Jun 3, 2013
thats not enough to the point for the way my mind works.
yet as an electrical analogy.. i see why more complex circuits can sound better than the lesser scrambled pieces.

but i do believe there is still some hope for 'straight to it' leaving each piece to represent the quality of what it was built to be.
it must be true because i've seen pictures of home amplifiers and they look more simple than complex.

i heard you say cost will determine distortion, but also the complexity of the design (as well as power output).

i also heard you say compromise.. and that means there are limits, as if to say there is hope.. but i pondered already that there would be hope considering 'audiophile' is an industry itself.. and thus the audiophiles jump to specific things because the gain of improvement is there.

if i can't impress any audiophiles.. i can at least do something better for all the kids in highschool & college.

i think the best part about a flea market is when you take something home and you truly enjoy what you brought home.