Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how pir sensor works?

pavan nellutla

Jan 7, 2016
hi,
while i am usint?g a led to test the sensor,the sensor is blinking on a regular basis.What should I do to prevent it?

Last edited by a moderator:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi,
while i am usint?g a led to test the sensor,the sensor is blinking on a regular basis.What should I do to prevent it?

you question doesn't make sense. Please try again and describe more clearly what the problem is :)

CapSteel

Mar 7, 2016
Make sure you aren't getting any stray infrared signals entering the input to your sensor. Try completely covering the input to the sensor with piece of cardboard for troubleshooting. More details on exactly what you are seeing would help.

ChosunOne

Jun 20, 2010
hi,

Is this a PIR motion sensor? If it is, you can usually find a brand name and model number on it, which would make it a lot easier to answer your question. There are a lot of PIR motion sensor models out there, and significant differences between them. If you can't find a model number, do you know if it's intended use is for turning on a light, or for use in an alarm system to detect intrusion, or some other purpose? Is it powered by line voltage (220, 240, 110, 120VAC, or whatever your local electricity is) or does it need 12VDC or something else to work?

I'm experienced with PIR motion sensors used in alarm systems in North America, but there are less complex PIR sensors used for other purposes. The PIRs motion sensors I work with are more sophisticated than most people realize because they use complex signal processing to cull out "random" IR input that would cause false alarms. If what you have is a PIR motion sensor intended for use in an alarm system, I can probably explain what is happening; but if what you have is a PIR sensor intended for use as a light switch when someone enters a room, or approaches the outside of your home, or some other kind of PIR sensor, then my explanation can be much shorter because those sensors are less complex.

Also, as davenn and CapSteel indicated, you haven't described what you're doing very well. A fuller description of what and how you're testing would be helpful.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Blinking... are you saying it goes on and off every second?

Or it goes on, stops for a brief moment then goes on again?

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Depending on the spectral response of the PIR sensor you will probably need an IR LED, not a visible-light one, to test it.