Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to build a dimming flexible light

Diggar

Dec 22, 2016
Hello everyone:

Not sure if this is the place for this question but here goes. If I am in the wrong place apologize.

I am wanting to build a light device that dims when it moves off center.

In other words I am going to run some wire through say a flexible tube with a light bulb at the top. I want the bulb to light and whenever the tube is taken off center it will cause the light bulb to dim.

It doesn't have to go to off unless that is a by product of how it is built but as long as the bulb can go from 100% on to say 50% dim at around 30% in either direction.

Of course I know how to run wires through a tube an hook up a light but I am not sure what to use to create the resistor like effect to dim the bulb.

Any ideas is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your help.

cjdelphi

Oct 26, 2011
Confused...

When moving the light tube it dims? But in the Centre (a table? Floor?) It's full brightness, inductive or with wires?

If you were sending an inductive power source to charge the tube, you could get an idea of how far out you are from the voltage it's getting via induction...

5v full, 3v dim, 1v very dim...

Rayregula

Dec 20, 2016
Confused...

When moving the light tube it dims? But in the Centre (a table? Floor?) It's full brightness, inductive or with wires?

If you were sending an inductive power source to charge the tube, you could get an idea of how far out you are from the voltage it's getting via induction...

5v full, 3v dim, 1v very dim...
I think Diggar means when the tube is strait

Rayregula

Dec 20, 2016
How Large is your tube (width) could you fit a flex sensor in it? Are you thinking led?

Diggar

Dec 22, 2016
Merry Christmas everyone and thank you so much for reaching out to help with my project. Unfortunately I completely had it wrong.

I saw a video that a person was using to sell something. It had a tube with a replica of a brain on top with a light in it. The only piece of the video I happened to watch was when he was bending it side to side and I noticed the light getting dimmer and thought this could be good for my project.

I went back and watched more of the video and noticed that what he had was on the base of the lamp was a touch sensor that allowed him to swipe across the sensor and dim or brighten the bulb.

Doh! So what he was doing was swiping as he was bending the lamp flexible tube. LOL. So essentially he has a dimmer in the base that performs this function.

Now I will admit that it was fancy since it was a swipe version instead of a typical light dimmer that you would see in a wall but I assume it works the same way.

What is nice is the touch dimmer he has allows the base to be thin instead of bulky.

I must also assume it is DC because I did not see a power cord coming from the base. Can someone tell me where I can get a dimmer such as this one?

I also assume by the brightness it must be an LED light.

Is this possible? Any help appreciated.

Thanks for all you help

Diggar

Dec 22, 2016
Here is a picture of a lamp with a swipeable dimmer that looks almost exactly as the one I saw in the video. The only difference is this on runs vertical and the video one ran horizontal.

Anyone know where I can get a dimmer like this ?

The one picture of the hand holding the base if the one from the video I watched. I don't see a power cord. Is that possible to run on batteries or am I missing it completely?

Thanks again

Attachments

• pc6879000-fashion_sliding_touch_dimmer_portable_led_table_lamp_for_bedroom_dc_12v.jpg
    pc6879000-fashion_sliding_touch_dimmer_portable_led_table_lamp_for_bedroom_dc_12v.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 98
  • 20150604155347_75449.jpg
    20150604155347_75449.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 2016-12-27_8-54-07.jpg
    2016-12-27_8-54-07.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited: