RRITESH

Oct 10, 2010
Hello,
How SMPS is made?
which transformer is used?
like 12V 10A

RRITESH

Oct 10, 2010
First i want to know we have replaced the Si iron core with ferrite core high frequency transformer.
in SMPS with rectifiers.
and in case of inverter DC to AC we use iron core only why?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A Si iron core will permit a high flux to be used but loses power in Eddy currents. Powdered iron core can reduce the loss but the permeability will be much lower.

Ferrites have a very high resistance so lower eddy current loss and can be run at high frequency, enabling fewer turns and lower wire loss and weight.

I have made inverters to transform DC to AC with ferrite cores so your last circuit is incorrect. The iron core would be used to generate 50Hz.

pathinteractive

May 17, 2016
Iron core inverters use low frequency transformers to convert low AC voltage into high AC voltage. These transformers are most widely used in old inverters. But efficiency of these inverters is not so high. Iron core inverters are bulky, high size, high harmonic distortion and high noise. Iron core inverters also not suitable for solar inverters, because it lose the purpose to make system efficient and to extract maximum energy from solar panels due to low efficiency of iron core inverters.

Ferrite core inverters use high frequency choppers to convert low voltage DC to high voltage DC unlike iron core inverters which convert low voltage AC into high voltage AC. There is different kind of choppers available in market according to shape and power handling capabilities. They operate at higher frequencies. Frequency range varies from few KHz to 100 of MHz’s. Higher the operating frequency of chopper, higher will be will power handling capability of chopper (ferrite core transformer).But there is a limitation in frequency range, because higher frequency cause skin effect issues in windings of ferrite core transformers.

RRITESH

Oct 10, 2010
I have made inverters totransform DC to ACwith ferrite cores so your last circuit is incorrect. The iron core would be used to generate 50Hz.
Can you post so , that we can can understand the working and learn as electrical engineer.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I have made inverters to produce AC at 400V or so which when rectified produce the high tension for radio sets. I used the ferrite cores from TV line output transformers and wound them with 1 turn/volt and run at 10 kHz or so.

I think that the problem is the definition of inverter. It can be used to describe a means of providing a substitute for the mains at low frequency or a high frequency which can be further modified.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
How SMPS is made?
which transformer is used?
like 12V 10A
An SMPS can be a nasty beast. I suggest you get to know the basics with a rather low power SMPS first - before you start fiddling with a 120W supply.
Start, for example, with a small 5V/500mA USB power supply.
Study the waveforms of voltages and currents, how they vary under different conditions (varying input voltage, varying output load, temperature etc.). Study the quality of the output (accuracy of voltage, '
You'll also have to take into account EMC, especially emissions due the switching action of the power circuit within the SMPS.

Here's a primer to start learning.

RRITESH

Oct 10, 2010
I have made inverters to produce AC at 400V or so which when rectified produce the high tension for radio sets.

What 400V do?
and is the voltage current waveform is flow of only electron in wire and CRO?