Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to charge a 7.5v battery from a mini-wind generator of 12v?

MEERA

Jan 29, 2014
im working for a project of charging mobile phone (5v,500ma) using wind generator (DC motor 12v)

im using power bank battery of 7.5v 700mAh Li-On (Dump load) i need to charge this battery which is regulated to 5v for charging phone (output)

i have almost completed this project:eek:

but some issues are noted on working condition :(

on testing wind generator with no load the voltage is around 10-15 v
on connecting dump load in parallel , it shows voltage of battery only ... which shows no charging condition of battery:confused:

the below circuit diagram may help u to understand better

please solve me this problem and also tell me that this way of charging battery is correct or any other changes to be made in order to improve efficiency !

Attachments

• ckt.png
    ckt.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 190

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
One should not charge a 7.5V Li Ion battery from a 10V source. Li Ion batteries are very sensitive to overchargeing read this discussion on proper charging techniques for Li Ion batteries.
on connecting dump load in parallel
Where exactly do you connect the dump load? Show the connection in the diagram.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Sorry, that's a very poor circuit.
Best case: your batteries will not last very long.
Worst case: your batteries will catch fire.

Read the articel I linked to. Google "charging li-ion batteries" for even more information. Use a dedicated Li-Ion charger IC.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Absolutely Harald. It is very very dangerous to do what you are doing. Lithium batteries generally require a constant current / constant voltage charging system. They start off with a constant current and finish charging with a constant voltage and when the current is about 3% of the maximum charge current they should switch off. The battery can not handle over charge and can catch fire.

Adam