Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to charge a lithium battery for a DIY bluetooth speaker

JBCreative

Nov 30, 2021
Hey guys, I'm new here and I am just a beginner with electronics.. Hoping to learn as I go.

I have used arduino , and have slightly familerized myself with basic wiring and voltage. I am currently making a small bluetooth speaker cut out of wood on my CNC machine, and have bought two electronic components that I think should be all I need. Here is what I have aquired:

HiLetgo 3.3V 5V Power Supply Module for MB102 102 Prototype Breadboard DC 6.5-12V or USB Power Supply Module

MakerHawk Bluetooth Audio Receiver Board BT 5.0 Stereo Audio Amplifier 3.7-5V Car Speaker Amplifier for DIY

I also have ton's of electronics components around that I have harvested from old tech. I have a 3.7v , 3000 mAh 11.1 Wh Lithium battery I was hoping to use, and connect with my power supply module. the battery itself has 5 pins (2 red, 2 black and a white)

Will I beable to hook this up to charge and power with USB , or will I need a different component to do this? Any guidance is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You should use a Lithium charger module. Lithium batteries can blow up in flames when handled incorrectly, including overcharging or draining them too low. A suitable charger module should take care f this.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
If you are buying the Amazon receiver then it comes with two receivers but you need only one receiver. Sell the extra receiver.
Amazon is mistaken, the receiver does not have a power amplifier for speakers, instead it has low power outputs for headphones or it can feed an external power amplifier.
The Amazon ad for the receiver says it can charge the Lithium battery from a USB cable.

A power amplifier powered from 3.7V produces only 1.2W per channel into 4 ohm speakers.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Correction. There is a Boom Box in another thread that uses a fairly large 3.7V Lithium battery that has its voltage boosted so that the amplifier output is a true 12.5W into each 4 ohms speaker.