Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to connect cell phone with only headset jack to 1/8 inch jack

dietermoreno

Dec 30, 2012
I was able to hack my old phone into an mp3 player just putting the mp3 files in the voice recording directory.

but how to connect to headphones or car input is the problem. The speaker on the cell phone is nonsense. The speaker sounds about as good as the $2 transistor radio on my desktop.

I'm thinking I would buy some ear buds for almost nothing and then cut off the ear buds and use the cable. Then I would solder the correct headset plug to the ear bud cable.

but where to buy a headset for a cell phone?

All I see online are the ear clip on blue tooth devices. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the headset that has a microphone and headphones. I originally had the headset when I bought the phone 4 years ago but I lost it.

Yes this is me asking you to operate Google for me. I confess.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
It all depends what model your phone is. It may have a standard connector, or it may be something propriety.

If it's a standard connector, you should be able to just buy the plug and go from there. If it's a special plug then you may have no other option than buying a set of earbuds and hacking off the cable.

If you take the latter approach, it would be smart to leave enough cable on the earbuds so you can connect a mating plug/socket to them so you can still use the earbuds.

dietermoreno

Dec 30, 2012
Okay. Well to solve the problem I upgraded to a new phone, but I'll come back to the thread if I ever decide to convert my old phone to an mp3 player. I've seen people I know who use their old phone as an mp3 player after they upgrade.