Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to connect tweeter with speaker, series or parallel?

Prohor

Sep 27, 2016
"Happy New Year" to all:)
I have bought a tweeter but did not get manual with it. I do not know how to connect it to my speaker, series connection or parallel connection. They also provide a 6.3μF 100v bi-directional ( no positive or negative symbol on it) capacitor to connect with the tweeter. In the box connection diagram printed with some other language ( not English :( ) .
I measured with Multi-meter that the tweeter has 7.8KΩ . Speaker is 8Ω.

I am uploading images of the tweeter and box bellow:

1.What should be Speaker connection with the tweeter and amplifier, series or parallel ?
2.What should be Capacitor connection with the tweeter? series or parallel?

box_Cover.jpg

Fig: Tweeter Box
top_side_view.jpg

Fig. Side view of the tweeter.
twetter_Back.jpg

Fig. Back View of the tweeter.
Thanks to everyone for spending valuable time for me.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The circuit shows the drivers connected in parallel. The bass driver will take much more current than the tweeter. Connecting them in series may well produce smoke.

The capacitor is to steer the high freqency signals to the tweeter and keep low frequencies out.

Nice pictures.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Piezo tweeters sound awful. They have a few strong resonance peaks with low levels in between. The horns make it sound worse.
The diagram shows exactly how to connect a capacitor in series with the tweeter and how they and the bass speaker are connected to the amplifier.

Google has never heard of the Alda speaker company.

Prohor

Sep 27, 2016
Piezo tweeters sound awful. They have a few strong resonance peaks with low levels in between. The horns make it sound worse.
The diagram shows exactly how to connect a capacitor in series with the tweeter and how they and the bass speaker are connected to the amplifier.

Google has never heard of the Alda speaker company.
Yes, that's why I did not get the manual with it. This is the best ( according to seller ) what I get in my nearest electronics shop. I think I have to move 100 KM to get the better one. :( Thank you for your reply.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
... Google has never heard of the Alda speaker company.
You have to use this search string: "ALDA expression of quality" all in quotation marks. Appears to be Russian origin.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I have never used a piezo tweeter but the ones I have heard shriek badly and sound awful.
Since they do not conduct then if one is connected in series with a woofer then the woofer will do nothing and maybe pass low and mid frequencies to the piezo tweeter and the inductance of the woofer will block high frequencies. I do not know if low frequencies in a piezo tweeter will mechanically damage it like on a real (dynamic) tweeter.

Kabelsalat

Jul 5, 2011
I have tried to connect a AA battery cell directly to a piezo tweeter. It really doesn't happens anything (like smoking, heating, etc...). There is a barely auditible click at the moment of contact, and same when battery is removed - if I remember correct.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
Of course a piezo tweeter does not heat when connected to DC, it is not a coil of wire like a dynamic speaker, instead it is a crystal capacitor that draws no DC current. The sides of it flex and produce a click with DC or the sides vibrate when it is fed AC.