Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to create multiple simultaneous signal sources from a single reference source?

John Manuel

Jun 7, 2018
I wanted to build a circuit which would produce a set of signals of different frequencies in different channels simultaneously using a single reference source. I also want the frequencies to be changeable. I am looking to generate frequencies in kHz and MHz range. On searching on the web I came across PLL. I wanted to know if I can do it using PLL or any other methods. It should be fully analog.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Suggest you look into DDS - Direct Digital Synthesis. There are low-cost modules available on ebay.

ak

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Suggest you look into DDS - Direct Digital Synthesis.
That wouldn't be
fully analog.

A PLL isn't fully analog, either, as it uses a frequency divider which is typically a digital circuit (it can be made an analog circuit within rather limited operating parameters).

I am looking to generate frequencies in kHz and MHz range.
Could you be a bit more specific? a 1 kHz signal is a completely different beast from a 100 MHz signal.

John Manuel

Jun 7, 2018
Could you be a bit more specific? a 1 kHz signal is a completely different beast from a 100 MHz signal.
I wanted to span both KHz and MHz range. But as you have said its entirely different, I would stick with a range from 1Hz to 100 kHz.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Oscillators and mixers (with suitable filtering) will do it.

A bog-standard receiver can produce (almost) DC to many GHz using such principles.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Explain what you mean by “simultaneously” for a set of signals of different frequencies. Do they start and stop at the same time, or something else? Nothing is actually simultaneous, give us an acceptable time difference.

Also, what do you mean by “a single reference.” A reference for what? Frequency, amplitude, phase, time?

Bob

Last edited: