Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to DIM LED with Constant Current Driver?

h2k

Aug 25, 2013
Thanks Fish, I think I get it now. If so, then here is how I see it:

- In a constant current drive, there is a PWM. But due to the inductor (a "buffer") the end result should be a constant current (and now have any large variation).

- When using a PWM device for dimming, the current is being altered by large amounts in order to achieve an effect that is equivalent to lowing the current of a constant current driver. This effect is usually gauged on the ability of the eye to recognize the variation (or hopefully lack thereof). Because my application is for skin response, I do not think PWM dimming is a good first choice.

- "Standard" dimming with a dimmable driver seems to be the correct choice. The dimmer goes between the A/C wall outlet and the driver. The result is that the LED should see a truly constant current (minus ripple) over the dimming range. There would not be any sort of modulation going on at the LED itself.

So I think that should cover it :) I have a pretty good "contraption" set up and now it is time to wire it all together.

Thanks so much. You guys have been tremendously helpful. The end goal of this is to create a DIY approach for others and I have started a website for that.