Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to Find the consecutive Temperature with input current for a charging IC?

Redwan

Dec 21, 2015
Hello there!

I have a problem in finding the relative temperature whenever different Current is pushed as input of the charging IC. IC number is PT116, I have used this in one of my mobile pcb for charging. Current drawing in output point of IC is 1 ampere, 1.5 ampere and 500 mA in Always 4.1volt DC. Input parameter is always same: 5volt,2Amp DC.

Now, when (1amp, 1.5amp,500mAmp), how much temperature will produce in the IC, can be calculated? I have seen the product's data sheet. It has a only a volt-temp curve,which is not helping me much. Urgent Help needed.

Thanks in Advance.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
The temperature the IC reaches will depend on input current, how well it is heatsinked, and ambient temperature.
Can you post a link to the datasheet?

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
"The temperature the IC reaches will depend on input current, how well it is heatsinked, and ambient temperature."

And the input voltage
The 5v input may not be 5v.

Redwan

Dec 21, 2015
@Colin Mitchell and @Alec_t : So, the IC temperature is totally depended on Input voltage and current as well as heat-sink condition, right? I thought, It depends on the current draw in the output end. If I'm wrong, please make me right with proper reference.

Unfortunately, I don't have the whole datasheet with me. Its not a common IC in open trade. Chinese vendor only sent me 1 page of curve due to trade secrecy. May be it can be found in net anywhere, but now, I'm uploading it here what I've got.

Attachments

• pt116 temp_redwan.jpg
    pt116 temp_redwan.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 267

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
It also depends on how to the IC is working.
If it is a modern IC, it is switching ON and OFF very quickly and delivering the current (and voltage) in microscopic spurts.
When it does this, it does not get hot and it should only be slightly warm. If it is very hot, something is wrong.

Redwan

Dec 21, 2015
It also depends on how to the IC is working.
If it is a modern IC, it is switching ON and OFF very quickly and delivering the current (and voltage) in microscopic spurts.
When it does this, it does not get hot and it should only be slightly warm. If it is very hot, something is wrong.

Can I Get exactly or approximately how much temperature it will become when certain level of power output?

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
The chip can be anywhere from 75% to 95% efficient.
There may be input protection diode(s) and a "catch" diode but at 1 amp nothing should get warm.
I can't say anymore.

Redwan

Dec 21, 2015
The chip can be anywhere from 75% to 95% efficient.
There may be input protection diode(s) and a "catch" diode but at 1 amp nothing should get warm.
I can't say anymore.

Ok. Thanks for your effort and reply. Surely it will help me. Waiting for others reply if they know anything more.