Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to fix/replace VCR recording head on RCA DVD recorder + VHS Model DRC8335B?

JavadK

Apr 24, 2017
Hi everyone
just joined the Forum, Hope someone can help me with my problem:
When I insert the VHS tape it doesn't automatically goes in the slot, I was told by a repair shop the head is no good!?
I though I'll seek some help before making a decision what to do. So I want to know:

1- Is that the correct diagnostic?
2- If so: How to fix/replace VCR recording head on RCA DVD recorder + VHS Model DRC8335B?
3- Otherwise what is my problem & how I can take care of it?

Thanks.

Attachments

• SAM_1176.JPG
    SAM_1176.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 70

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
When I insert the VHS tape it doesn't automatically goes in the slot, I was told by a repair shop the head is no good!?
1- Is that the correct diagnostic?

no it isn't ( they probably just don't want to fix it ...... cost more to fix than to buy a new one)

would you want to be charged $200 to fix a unit you can replace for under $100, maybe as little $50 ??
it's usually one of the sensors that has failed

there's 2 sets of sensors that must trigger before a cassette will load correctly and play/rec

the first set is in the cassette carrier mechanism that consist of small switch(es) that are activated when the cassette in pushed in
They will operate and the mechanism will operate and carry the cassette down into the loaded position

the second set is optical with a dual direction LED in the centre of the deck and it shines out to the 2 edges of the cassette mechanism
where there are a couple of photo diodes/transistor ( one each side) It's common for the LED to fail and the system doesn't recognise
that a cassette has been loaded .... it will either sit there dead or automatically eject the cassette ( depending on the manufacturer)

here is a photo of a deck that I have annotated for you.......

VCR insides.JPG

JavadK

Apr 24, 2017
Thanks Davenn
Appreciate the comment. What is your opinion, can I get the parts & fix it providing it's worth my time & money, or just dump it & buy another one?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks Davenn
Appreciate the comment. What is your opinion, can I get the parts & fix it providing it's worth my time & money, or just dump it & buy another one?

getting the parts may be the easiest part
the loading mechanism along with the main mechanism is all a sequential timed setup
getting the timing correct can be very tricky. I used to fix these and other stuff for a living and sometimes had hours of frustration getting the sequence correct

Unless you have got experience with VCR's, you may just find it a frustrating waste of time

just confirm, does the cassette mechanism grab the cassette and try to load it ? or doesn't it try at all ?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I am not VCR expert! and NO it doesn't grab it at all.

OK then probably the switch or switches on the loading mechanism
it can get tricky from here because ( depending on the manufacturer) the switch(es) may be located on the mechanism
or they may be on the main board and operated by nylon levers that are on the cassette mechanism

I gave up on VCR repair 10 years or so ago when it became uneconomic to fix them .... TV's followed pretty soon after