Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to fix TV-BOX problem

Vacuumstar

Mar 6, 2023

How to fix the TV-Box problem?​

Hello
I have a kdlinks A400M Android Media Player . I tried to upgrade its firmware which was based on the Android 5.It was unable to boot showing kdlinks logo.
I tried to install the zip file: #1 Build number HMD-2.0.6 2017-11-05.11415 which is
provided on the official website of Kdlinks, first.
What I did was based on these:
1. Copy update.zip to the root of a USB pen drive (so the USB pen drive should contain a single file named update.zip).

2. Insert the USB pen drive into any USB port of the KdLinks A400.

3. With the A400 4K3D turned off, use a paper clip or pen to press and hold the the pinhole restore button on the back of the KdLinks A400.

4. While keeping the restore button pressed, turn on the KdLinks A400.

5. Keep the restore button pressed until you see an Android droid logo.

6. Release the button and the firmware upgrade will proceed.
which is recomended on the official web site of kdlinks.
But My bad during the update due to a problem I had to disconnect the USB.
Now I am trying to reinstall the upgrade zip file after doing a
FAT32 computer reformatting for the USB and pressing the "UPGRADE" button on
the rear of the unit again,but there is no
reaction from the kdlinks.
what do I do?Should I wipe anything?How?
please help me.
Many thanks

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Now I am trying to reinstall the upgrade zip file after doing a
FAT32 computer reformatting for the USB and pressing the "UPGRADE" button on
the rear of the unit again,but there is no
reaction from the kdlinks.
After reformatting the USB drive you need to copy the upgrade.zip again to the USB drive. A blank formatted USB drive will not work.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Unusual for firmware to be in .zip format, I would have thought it would need to be unzipped/extracted first.

Martin

Vacuumstar

Mar 6, 2023
After reformatting the USB drive you need to copy the upgrade.zip again to the USB drive. A blank formatted USB drive will not work.
Hello Harald
Of course. I did it.

Is there any way to install this zip file by a connected computer ?

Vacuumstar

Mar 6, 2023
Unusual for firmware to be in .zip format, I would have thought it would need to be unzipped/extracted first.

Martin
Hello Martina2050
I did it based on what the official web site of kdlinks wrote.
see here please:

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, I agree it’s a little ambiguous, but I’ve never known hardware of any kind to contain an unzipper/extractor software.
I would unzip/extract the ‘zipped’ files to a blank formatted drive. Then try again. I could be wrong, but it’s worth a try.

Martin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Quite often, when updating an OS, if you interrupt the process for any reason you can 'brick' the device. Was there any warning re interruption of the process?

Vacuumstar

Mar 6, 2023
Hello kellys-eye
The display on the device was showing zero instead of" boot". The green android installation icon started to show on the HDMI output screen(TV). Immediately the output image of the device stopped and when I disconnected the USB and after that there was no image or warning.In fact that was the reason why I disconnected the USB.
The whole process took 3-4 minutes and when I connected the USB to the computer, Windows asked to repair the memory space of the USB.
I however haven't installed Android yet and I don't understand the meaning of the word "brick".
I think something such as a bootloader is missing after these all?

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I think something such as a bootloader is missing after these all?
'Bricking' is a term used to describe the 'total locking up' of a device when the programming fails and is commonly caused by corrupting the bootloader software on the device itself.

Because you are taking software (the program) from a 'dumb' device i.e. the USB stick, the receiving device (the equipment you're trying to upgrade) MUST have software built-in that can configure itself (i.e. its input port) to read from the USB stick. This is all well and good until you stop the reprogramming process part way through when the bootloader itself - which is also reloaded from the USB stick - can't run because it isn't 'complete' due to the reprogramming failure.

One way to repair such problems has been to remove the device main memory and install it into an external programmer and access the main memory directly to reconfigure the bootloader - unless you can remove the chip, get a suitable programmer and also find the 'naked' software (not the 'program' that the USB stick contains but it will be a part of it) then the device is considered 'bricked' and effectively as good as one...... worthless.

Many OS updates come with a specific warning about interruption of the bootloading process. It happens very often when people try to reprogram their mobile phones or tablets - if you haven't heeded the warning then there's no (practical) recovery process. That said, SOME devices do have a way back in - very device specific and often discoverable by the nerds that frequent particular model of equipment. If there is a forum dedicated to your device there many be more info in there.....

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I’ve never known hardware of any kind to contain an unzipper/extractor software.
But the Kdlinks website explicitly states that the zip file shall be stored on the USB drive.

@Vacuumstar : have you followed this hint on te kdlinks website?
A. If your version is 1.07 Android 5.1 version, you can install #1, then install #2. You can't install #2 directly.