Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to fix uncontrollable volume of a portable AM/FM/SW radio?

Low Seng Kuang

Jan 28, 2018
Hi ,

I have a 5 year old portable FM/AM/SW analog radio.

Today, I find that the volume control is not working.

As the radio is ON, the volume goes up to maximum; the volume control can do nothing to reducce it,

I have checked the volume control using multi-meter, it is fine.

Usually are the likely faulty electronic components in the circuit might cause this problem?

Capacitor, Resistor or diode?

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Check all the connections to the volume control and where they go to. If the ground wire is broken you could see this issue.

This assumes the volume control is a normal potentiometer and not some digitally controlled device.

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I have radios with that problem. The terminals on the volume control are simply riveted on but if they are too tight they break the board that has the resistance track so they do not press the rivets hard enough then the ground terminal becomes loose. Without the ground terminal connected to ground then the volume is maximum.

I can't fix it and since every volume control is a different size then I usually can't replace a bad one.

Low Seng Kuang

Jan 28, 2018
Check all the connections to the volume control and where they go to. If the ground wire is broken you could see this issue.

This assumes the volume control is a normal potentiometer and not some digitally controlled device.

Hi,

The wire connection is indeed broken at the potential meter board,.
Thank you for guiding me..

Low

Low Seng Kuang

Jan 28, 2018
I have reconnect the wires at the circuit board and the potential meter, this issue is now fixed, many thanks for the guidance.

Thanks

Low

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Excellent, well done!