Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how to hardwire a house radio in a car - crazy project

wiseguy_75

Oct 9, 2015
I just bought this radio and want to install it in a car. It is a car radio modified to work on house current.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0073GLC6U?redirect=true&ref_=pd_hud_ya_orders

Just want to know if there is a simple way to hardwire it the car? Trying to avoid buying a 150 watt power inverter. I live on a small island in the caribbean and electronic components are a limted resource. And if you do find what you need, you will pay 10x for it.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The ad in your link says "Wide input 9 to 14.4 VDC input voltage for many applications".
If you have a modded version of this radio, chances are you find the original 12V connection inside and can connect this to the car's power. For more detailed help we'd have to see a schematic of the power supply circuit of the radio.

btw: Since when are Caribbean islands part of Canada? :D

wiseguy_75

Oct 9, 2015
Hi, thanks for the post. just to clarify, I do not have a modded version of that radio... that radio is the exact one I ordered (which I have not received yet). I just believe it is a modded car radio.

And what I need help with, is trying to figure out the easiest and cheapest way to permanently install it in a car.

So again, if anyone has any ideas or solutions, please post them here!

By the way Harald, I am from Canada, and only currently living on this island... so I felt it was only right to put Canada as my country in my profile. :) Did you know canada has been trying to acquire Turks and Caicos for many years now? And since it hasn't happened yet, I took matters into my own hands and found a great island to call home in the meantime! Lol
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/turk...-door-on-canadians-caribbean-dreams-1.1838466

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Why would you buy a car radio modified for house wiring when there are already many choices of car radios intended to be installed in a car? I hope you got it for a good price.

That said, It most likely has an adapter for use with line voltage. You could simply leave that out and wire the radio directly to the car's 12V power.

Bob

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Bob is correct, the unit comes with an ac-dc adaptor.
Simply buy a lead with the same size dc jack that's on the adaptor. Watch the polarity though.
Or buy a dc jack and solder some wires to it and connect to the vehicles electrical system.

Martin