Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to Implement a USB or Bluetooth Interface

edmundsj

Feb 22, 2015
Hello,

I'm currently working on a project that currently uses an Arduino with a bunch of jumper cables attached to some female pins on a PCB I designed. However, ideally I would like to eliminate the Arduino in the future and just use a vanilla microcontroller soldered to a board with a couple other components, but the primary issue with this is that I need to be able to change the code running on the microcontroller fairly often, and I need to be able to control the microcontroller over USB or bluetooth from a computer nearby. Does anyone have experience implementing a USB or bluetooth interface similarly to the Arduino?

I understand that simple microcontrollers like the Atmega128P need an additional microcontroller to facilitate a USB interface, but I'm not sure how on earth to do it. If someone could point me in the right direction or tell me this is way to complex and I should stick with the Arduino I would much appreciate it.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You could attach an inexpensive USB programmer (Google) permanently to your target.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
Several PICs have a USB module on-chip and you can download the code to handle the USB from Microchip.

If the USB connection is only needed for uploading code and debugging, then the PICs allow InCircuitSerialProgramming(ICSP) using some of the pins on the PIC. The higher end the PIC the better the debugging facilities using the same interface from the Microchip workbench. Microchip also make a module (MRF....) which is a WiFi module that can be used with a normal LAN (router/computer).

JWHassler

Dec 22, 2014
Since you already have some Arduino experience and investment in this, consider using the Arduino Pro as a basis....
You needn't use a store-bought Arduino, just copy the circuitry that applies and buy an FTDI-based programmer