Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how to limit surge current?

ye-olde-fool

May 5, 2023
i have a small inverter/generator, driving a pair of intelligent battery chargers
for my long range gopher use.
the starter current blows up the inverter, even with just one.

i bought a 500w heater and a 12A 3wire HL XS-12/03 soft starter,
but can't work out how to use them. any better deas.
KISS pls. it has to work, ugly doesn't matter

ye-olde-fool

May 5, 2023
3 wires, labelled a b c.
b has a circle labelled M which then goes to c.
c is a thinner wire. a and c go to ac.
how does it work and how do i use it for my purpose?
its a 12A unit, but i have to stay under 2.2A how pls?

ye-olde-fool

May 5, 2023
i think i now know.

the c connection provides switch on/off. my use is permanently on.
connect mains neutral to a
connect charger neutral to b.
connect charger active[sl to c
connect c to active mains.

reverse actives/neutrals as needed to switch actives.
i do not need the heater, as device ramps power up.
no pic as case is bright alloy, too much glare.
when genset power switches on, the charger capacitors will ramp up to 240v in abt 1 sec, limiting the surge current.
don't know how to cancel strike thru.

Last edited:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Good luck....a 500w heater doesn't have any "inrush current"...it's 99% resistive.
Sounds more like it (inverter) is overloaded plain and simple.

ye-olde-fool

May 5, 2023
yes, inverter is overloaded by surge current, and yes, heaters have no phase angle, but the heater is temp in series with the charger to limit initial current whilst aiding the build up of charge in the voltage doubler input. once caps are charged, the current is manageable. i have no economic/ergonomic alternative unfortunately. i do not have pspice nor sufficient info to calculate exactly what will happen, i have to hope near enough will do. replacing inverter again is not viable option. this has to work, or i have to spend a lot more on a bigger generator. a more powerful inverter is a difficult option as it will require more testing to select a suitable replacement., but it would be wise to install and test in/out-puts of inverter before wiring this up to establish a benchmark. i am aware of a more powerful model inverter for the next model genset. i didbask supplier about this, and requested the better one with cash difference for warranty reolacement. i may have difficulty fitting it in, or worse, the same inverter may be in both gensets. at this stage, i can't tell, and the new one has not arrived. thanks for reminding me.