Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to make a direct current diy space heater... with solar panels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsc802

Nov 30, 2020
Hi,I've got some solar panels and a cold room in my house and am trying to come up with a fun and doable-for-an-electronics-noob-like-me project to make a DIY space heater from them. I own my own shitty house and don't have dependents so don't really care too much if I take risks lol. Youtube has given me the following ideas:

- buy a baseboard heater, rip the thermostat off it and look for a place to connect wires to
- buy one of those oil fin heaters.. try to take the AC heating element out of the oil hole... buy a DC water heater element and try to make an adapter so that it can screw in place of what I just ripped off
- Buy some nichrome wire and wrap it around ceramic rods and put it in a big reflective can or bowl

Any advice? I am a complete noob, but I do know how to wire the solar panels together because I helped someone put them on my roof. These are the leftover ones.

Thanks in advance for any help/ideas

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
have you seen this before - it might interest you->

Even tho it makes more sense to make a cooler out of solar panels, cause isnt it hot outside with all the sun power?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Solar panel dc supply can be just as, if not more than, hazardous than mains supply.

Appears from your post that you have very little regard for safety.
So I doubt anyone who has experience with this will want to give you advice that you might take and fry either yourself, or worse some other innocent bystander.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This really calls for an experienced electrician on the spot.
I'll close this thread to prevent further mischief.

Status
Not open for further replies.