Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how to make a "skin"

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
ok on my list of things to do while I take 4 weeks off cos the missus is giving birth is hopefully get a very small type of skin happening.
I was thinking of mixing capacitance with resistance to achieve this. and yes I have posted this some time ago but am still stumped. my theory is to take 2 pieces of resistive material (which in reality is anything) and place them close together forming a capacitor.
now if something touches the plate I am able to find out where (the 2 sheets touching divide by resistance etc etc etc) maths is going to be fun
also I will be able to find out how hard by the capacitance change as the plates get closer together.
I am thinking of putting a thin foam material in the middle but this may affect capacitance further but will give a good spongey material so the plates go back to original position after being touched.
so any one willing to offer input to help me make an android..... I mean synthetic skin...

BitHead

Mar 2, 2012
Uff-da!

Sorry - no big answer here - just a thought to consider...
Whatever it is it's going to have to be a grid array of something.
Yes, capacitance will tell you it is being pressed - but no way to know a hard press by a finger tip from a soft press by a hand (larger area).
Perhaps a mesh network of nodes cross-linked by elastic resistive threads - each of which can be measured - laid upon spongy foam (so they can spring back to normal) ?
Good luck - looking forward to progress updates. ;-)