Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to make a spark gap with a diode (almost)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
Its possible to use a diode to block the discharge of a capacitor while its charging, if you do this,
when the power is released, and only then, it will discharge through the diode as a short.

This makes the discharge faster than the charge, and it also increases the amps at the same time dscharge
versus charge. (so charging is slower and takes longer, discharge is quicker, and more amperage.)

This is very similar to a spark gap, except you have to release the power for it to happen.
so it doesnt quite make a spark gap oscillator, but its very close.

If I do this to make coupled cap inverter osc, I think it'll make it work. without a transistor.

But it still has a semiconductor, the diode. I'll be back with the sim when I get it working.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
damn it!!! it didnt work, but it is actually better than before.

I think the oscillation I'm getting is real now, before it wasnt, but now its the real deal.
But I guess I need to fix it, its not good enough yet.

There will be a way to do it.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
When do we start accepting the fact that the OP is trolling us?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
It's a bit of a balancing act to distinguish between a troll and someone genuinely handicapped.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
someone genuinely handicapped.
Such a person would (I expect) be happy (grateful even) to take advice and any help when offered. The OP doesn't do this - at all. The OP consistently refuses to acknowledge practical theory but instead offers fabricated garbage no matter how often we correct them or advise them to read on the theory of whatever it is they are clearly 'missing'.

The schematics get ever more ridiculous (unreadable) despite continued reference to them not being 'standardised' and, imho, the OP plays on this fact by making them WORSE.

If this isn't 'trolling' then I don't know what is.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
Ok. I get it, when I'm really excited about something, it doesn't mean other people are. But this is the greatest thing ive got to offer! This is how I do electronics! I want to make a discrete risc processor, And I don't mind helping other people to do it as well, just they dont seem to want it.

I've got nowhere on the internet to share my work, and I get lonely.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I hope you don't mind ...this is a response to another thread of yours please reference below.:)
I'm sorry to be the one to tell you!
Diodes, zener diodes, & varactor
diodes.Uni-junction transistors, Bipolar junction transistors (BJT), FET, Silicon Controlled Rectifier etc. Are active components.Because they take part in the "transformation of the energy" while other components,which only" dissipate or store energy, "are called passive elements.
Components like resistors, capacitors, inductors,fall in this class of passive
elements.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
I actually got that circuit to work nearly...
But it shorted from the output of the second operand into the first operand through the other output of the inverter,
Otherwise it would have worked. So I can have the two channels separate, I just cant combine them together, so yes, it didnt work.

I'm thinking what I'm going to try today...

About the diodes being active components, I have got an amp to work with a diode (not this one, another one), I managed to get the channels together, delaying with a second step, but without the diode I cant, except for this other one where I did get an amp, from putting the sensor through a capacitor, and combining a battery and the capacitor on a back pass together. But I tried putting two in series, and it only amped it once, not twice, I think it was the resistance of the capacitor. (Harald is right about capacitors being very resistive to use...)

I actually do lock the diode down with a battery in series with it, the diodes cant stop the short without the battery, funnily.

(heres the one without the diode that halted at one step, couldnt add another)

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I'm thinking what I'm going to try today
The ability to analyze & simplify such circuits is central to the understanding & design of more
complicated circuits,the measurement of DC circuit quantities,
i.e.voltage, current & resistance,are the most basic & fundamental measurements an electrical engineer can make.
Start off with blinking LEDs put it on a breadboard make a video of it... that'll grab my attention.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
I actually got that circuit to work nearly...
But it shorted from the output of the second operand into the first operand
Then it obviously does not work.

Again a thread that is leading us nowhere -> closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.