Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to power 2 motors that rotate in different directions with 1 power source, without tangling cables.

kinll

Jan 16, 2024
Hi friends,

I am helping my professor for his art installation and we are looking a solution for powering some of the motors in it.

Inside the installation, there is a part that has a dc motor that spins a holder that carries a glass , and the holder also has a smaller motor that spins the glass that it carries. I drew a pictures below.
The question is : Is there a way for powering both motors with one power source without tangling any cables?

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 10.19.18 PM.png

My professor actually did a version long time ago using a leds hologram fan but he is looking for a better way to power them.

Here is the version he did with an led fan before.
Since this type of leds fan has a circuit inside the top part for the leds, he wired that circuit to power the motor and put it under the glass holder, which is the blue thing between the holder and motor 1 in the drawing below.
Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 10.23.16 PM.png

The leds circuit is getting power from the bottom half of the fan which is the motor, and a spring (the tiny blue thing) is also attached to the motor that touches the circuit when it spins, I guess this is how it conducts the current without soldering wires?

Does anyone know other better ways to do it ? or know where we can get this type of led fan circuit, or similar circuit that can power both motors for this setup.

Any help is appreciated !!! Thanks!

kinll

Jan 16, 2024
thanks ! But i don't think this will work for this setup? or I just haven't figured what is the wiring

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The slip ring would be placed on the vertical motor end. It’s basically two or more copper rings that transfer current from wires above and below the rings as it spins, so no tangled wires.
The second motor (horizontal) will get its power from the top half of the slip ring wires.
Think about how your professor did it with springs!. It’s very similar.

kinll

Jan 16, 2024
Thank you everyone! I guess I don't know where exactly would I install the slip ring for is setup and seems like the type of slip ring I need is the pancake one?

Thanks again!!!