Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How To Prevent Electrical Noise From A Motor?

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
We need a little more information.
Is this noise because the motor is vibrating? Should you use rubber isolators?
Is the noise inside the motor? Do you have bad bearings?
Is the noise mechanical or electrical?
Is the noise electrical because you're overloading it?
Is the noise mechanical because you're overloading it?
Is the noise electrical because you're overvoltage/overcurrent?
Somebody here can help if you help us understand.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
I think it might be worth trying to mount caps as you wish, and see if the noise goes away. But our friend shrtrnd has asked good questions because there are lots of kinds of noise.
So, I'll ask my questions: what kind of noise is causing you trouble, and how is it causing the trouble, please?

Last edited:

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Ohhhh.
Radio Shack and Olsen used to sell these things cheap before the improvements in
vehicle electronics. All I remember about them was they were tuned to the basic
frequency of the vehicle's electrical system. I don't know if this is a home project,
or if you have a commercially built system. If it's commercially built, the manufacturer
would know what to recommend to overcome this problem.
It's been twenty years since I worked on this type of a problem, and can't think of a
recommendation off the top of my head.
I'll give it some thought, and repost if I remember what I did in the past.
What you might consider, is what signals the motor noise is interferring with.
Multiple pieces of equipment, or just one.
You can limit the noise from the motor. Or I think I would be more concerned with
filtering the input power to your equipment you're picking the noise up on.
(Unless this motor noise is actually so bad it's being picked-up on some type of
audio gear through it's signal input wires or antenna).
Have you isolated the antenna or input signal from the chassis the motor is connected
to?
How sensitive is the equipment? Is this a radio transmitter/receiver, or audio device
of some type?
Do you think the noise is coming-in through the actual power wiring, or is it induced
through the air from the motor due to motor proximity to your electronics?
It's easier to attack the problem, when we know the source transmission medium.

Mastermind

Jul 29, 2011
I am using an rf modem (transmitter) to transmit serial data back to my pc (receiver). Dc motors are known to have current spikes which can produce some unwanted "noise" that can interfere with the signal. I read that you can use one or two capacitors to filter and prevent this. I am using two. I am just wondering if I could connect the capacitors on the wires as close to the motors as possible, would that same effect as connecting the capacitors to the terminals (I cannot do this because the terminals are inside the motors and there are only two wires coming out). Here's what I am talking about. http://www.beam-wiki.org/wiki/Reducing_Motor_Noise

Last edited: