Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to test if I am grounded properly to work with electronics?

SoulReaver009

Mar 20, 2023
Hello people of "All About of Circuits"!,
I am new to electronics. Been fascinated by it for a while, have studied physics (not Electricity, yet, but its my next unit). I got a multimeter and an Ardist DIY kit for my birthday and I am very excited to start testing, experimenting, and building!
I have been googling and youtubing a little bit, watching some reviews on my multimeter, and reading my manual and such.
For some reason I cannot find a video or webpage to test and confirm if I am properly grounded.
I can only work in my room, and it has carpet, so I am very nervous. I cannot work anywhere else, sadly.
I watched a youtube video that said to plug in a 3-prong laptop charger, and then connect the alligator clip of my ESD anti-static wrist strap to the outside metal part of the charger (the part that goes into the laptop).
Lots of people have commented that it works and i believe them. If you know other ways to ground, I would be interested. Would also be cool to test each method of grounding, and compare results.
Being the experimentalist that I am, I would like to have a procedure to test and confirm (as closely to absolutely, as possible) if I am indeed grounded, or at least within a safe range to "work with electronics". please forgive me if my terms or sayings are inaccurate or wrong. I am new to this!
Can't wait to hear back and get started!!

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Okay I'm over it I was just kidding here you go buddy

Last edited:

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
Its not that important, If you get a few electric shocks off some in circuit batteries it probably puts extra hairs on your knuckles.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
If you get a few electric shocks
Grounding as requested by the op is not about getting shocked yourself but about protecting the electronic components from getting destroyed by electrical discharges, cf. post #4.
Of course that's completely irrelevant for your simulations.

kpatz

Feb 24, 2014
If you’re experimenting with electronics you’ll probably want to get a bench power supply with a 3 prong plug. Many of these have a ground terminal on them, so you could ground yourself to that. That would be the easiest way. Laptop power supplies are often ungrounded or have plastic cases.

You could wear a grounding strap, but if you just touch something grounded before handing sensitive components/boards you should be ok. As a kid living in a cold climate I used to get shocked walking across carpets and touching doorknobs etc. so I have a nervous habit of touching anything and everything metal as I walk… so I have a habit of grounding myself. Lol.

dragon

Oct 31, 2022
I dont understand the ground, batteries dont seem to conduct to my kitchen sink, I tried.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I dont understand the ground, batteries dont seem to conduct to my kitchen sink, I tried.
Is your sink metal?.
Anyway, a metal sink and copper pipes are grounded (earth ground) called ‘bonded’. not battery negative.
Do yourself a favour and us, read about earth ground, chassis ground and neutral.