Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to work Buck Battery Charger Controller IC BQ24610RGER

umutkaracaoglu

Mar 29, 2023
In a design I made, I am using a BQ24610 coded battery charge controller and charging a 3.7V battery. I had no problems with the design and test parts. But I want to know exactly how this system works. For example, I wonder how the mosfets on the ACDRV pin and the mosfets connected to the PH pin work. Apart from these, what function does the PWM control logic section and the System Power Selector Logic section in the IC have? Finally, how does this IC set preconditioning, constant current and constant voltage charging phases? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 4

umutkaracaoglu

Mar 29, 2023
The second quoted part doesn't seem to match the first quoted part...... if you designed it surely you know how and why? Another question. Does it really work? Have you built it?

Have you studied the BQ24610 datasheet?
I know what I designed it for but I wonder how it works. I studied the datasheet, but I could not find the information I wanted about how it works in the datasheet. By the way, yes the design works, I did the charging tests.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
How did you design it without knowing how it works?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
It's your bootstrapped circuit.
For the output to be high the low
side circuit must have previously been switched on in order to charge the bootstrap capacitor.The mosfets on the ACDRV pin (3) is an AC adapter to system P channel power mosfet along with a reverse conducting blocking P channel power mosfet.
Same thing for the PH pin (20) Pulse Width Modulated high side driver for the negative supply.
This battery charger Chip is used for lithium ion, lithium polymer, and lead acid batteries.
Charge is determined when the current reaches a minimum "user" selectable level. That is... you being the designer pick out the value of the resistors and capacitors to set upper and lower limits or thresholds because the charging is dependent upon chemistry of battery you wish to charge. I am just repeating what I read in the data sheet. Good stuff!