Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HP 8510c vector network analyzer

wangguodong

Jun 12, 2023
Hi there,
I am a new user of hp8510c microwave system and currently, I am facing some problems.
The system is called HP-85106D mm-wave network analyzer system and it is integrated with hp8510c, a source generator, etc.
The problems were found when I tried to calibrate the system in W band. The calibration kit is 85059a.
According to the menu, when calibrating the S11 one-port calibration, over 50ghz, the calibration should be open, short and load.
But in the system, it shows short, offset and load. Which is different from the Mannur.
The other problem is that once the calibration is done, we are using Matlab and GPIB to control the system. But I can not keep the calibration on while using Matlab to realize some measurements. It shows a "correction reset" error code and I do not understand.
Does this mean while using the PC to control the system, the calibration can not be turned on?

Thanks

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
S11 parameters using one port is for reflection coefficients only. What are you doing at over 50 gigahertz?( Rhetorical question)
You should be on the manufacturer website Algent Hewlett- packard.
Sorry buddy you're (SOL) pun intended.

Screenshot_20230612_211023.jpg

These kits based on (Short Open Load) required that data describing all the reflection standards provided by the factory be loaded into the VNA on a "serial number basis" in order to complete the calibration and render your calibration coefficient table, which is then saved in memory.
Your calibration is only as good as your standards.

wangguodong

Jun 12, 2023
S11 parameters using one port is for reflection coefficients only. What are you doing at over 50 gigahertz?( Rhetorical question)
You should be on the manufacturer website Algent Hewlett- packard.
Sorry buddy you're (SOL) pun intended.

View attachment 59487

These kits based on (Short Open Load) required that data describing all the reflection standards provided by the factory be loaded into the VNA on a "serial number basis" in order to complete the calibration and render your calibration coefficient table, which is then saved in memory.
Your calibration is only as good as your standards.
Thank you very much for your comments.
I am using W band as we only have the atenna working at W band now.
As for the calibration, I think a s11 one-port calibration would be more accurate compared with only the response calibration.
I am also thinking the loaded calibration standards which is supposed to be saved in the VNA has gone so that I can only find short, offset and load instead of the short open and load indicated in your figure.
The thing is the 3.5-inch floppy disk provided with the calibration kit is not available, I can not install it into the system again. Could you please provide some ideas regarding that if you have some information?
Thank you

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
As for the calibration, I think a s11 one-port calibration would be more accurate compared with only the response calibration
The accuracy decreases as frequency increases.
You may or may not know this information you requested of me is unethical.
And believe me I know the price you have paid for this system. I have pointed you in the right direction it is all I can do.

wangguodong

Jun 12, 2023
The accuracy decreases as frequency increases.
You may or may not know this information you requested of me is unethical.
And believe me I know the price you have paid for this system. I have pointed you in the right direction it is all I can do.
I am so sorry to make misunderstand me. I am not requesting you any unethical issues but checking if you happen to know where to order it again. Sorry again.