Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Wanted: HP Thinkjet or HP Quietjet printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWEMawson

Aug 23, 2012
This is for the print output from an HP 1651A logic analyser, and needs to have a serial port. This makes the Thinkjet model number 2225D but I think all Quietjet models have the serial interface.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You're probably best off going to an HP collectors forum.

Also, you're going to have problems getting the ink cartridges.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There's 2 available at the moment, unfortunately both are parallel interface.

From memory, there were at least 4 versions produces HP-IB, Parallel, Serial, and HP-IL (the latter was also battery operated).

I wonder if you can get a serial to parallel converter. These days it should almost be trivial given a fairly simple microcontroller.

AWEMawson

Aug 23, 2012
There are various commercial programs out there that capture data from an RS232 port and relay it to the system printer via the nessesary translation, but they are spendy hence looking for a simple printer!

BillV

Sep 18, 2012
I have a 2228A Quietjet but it's not for sale. It has both a serial and parallel interface. A quick look at the manual suggests that they all came that way (no guarantee). The only variant that I recall is the Quietjet Plus, which had a wider bed. The Thinkjet may have had the various interface versions. Black ink is still available as the cartridges are used by some other non-HP printer. But I think the colored inks are all discontinued. You can refill a cartridge if you're a masochist.

If all you need is a serial printer wouldn't an Epson be OK? I'd think that more of them would be around. The Quietjet had the ability to upload user defined fonts. But that was a rather obscure feature and I may have been the only person to ever use it.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
yeah, it's the 2225 that comes in the wide variety of versions with different interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.