Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hyundai HY3000sei inverter generator odd issue- looking for guidance

Mackskibum

Oct 29, 2018
Hi all,

I have a Hyundai HY3000sei inverter generator that is acting odd. I'm trying to determine if the inverter is failing or if I have another system issue. Primary use is to power an RV through a Parallax 8300 series power center. Unit is about 4 years old and has worked fine up until the last few weeks. Has an estimated 500 hours on it with a new inverter installed 300 hours ago.

Symptoms are this:

When powering the RV, the unit will run for 45 minutes to an hour just fine. At that point, the inverter will stop producing electricity without tripping the overload circuitry. The green power light will go out. The unit will then produce electricity within 5-10 seconds. The second drop out will occur after 15 minutes, then 5, etc. At some point the overload will trip and require shutdown and restart.

I can simulate the failure using a lighting load on the generator- 3x500 watt halogen work lights. Cycling the power quickly on one of the lights very quickly will cause the dropout or overload.

I'm trying to determine if the Parallax in the RV is the issue (maybe quickly changing load while charging the battery in float mode) or if the inverter is dying.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Sorry your having problems.
I would isolate the generator from the power centre and try hooking up a heavy load such as a space heater to it.
That way you'll know for sure its the generator.

Mackskibum

Oct 29, 2018
Thanks for the reply. The 1500 watt lighting load isn't enough to test? About the same as a space heater...

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Thanks for the reply. The 1500 watt lighting load isn't enough to test? About the same as a space heater...
Yes, perhaps. Although I'd be curious if a heavy load would recreate the fault on its own without cycling the lights on off.

Mackskibum

Oct 29, 2018
It's definitely the generator. Same issue after 1/2 hour connected to 500 watt lighting load. Thanks to everyone for reading/responding to my post.