Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I am having significnat Wi-Fi issues with a new Bluesound Node - can I add an external antenna?

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
Do you have an antenna with a UFL lead that you can just plug in?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Looks like a short circuit by solder between core and sleeve of the cable here:
upload_2022-2-7_8-8-53.png
Do you have a better close-up photo of this part?

duesentrieb

Jan 26, 2022
Looks like a short circuit by solder between core and sleeve of the cable here:
View attachment 54177
Do you have a better close-up photo of this part?

I need to see how I can take a better picture. Assuming there a shield (outer) and inner lead? In which case where is lead supposed to go (vs. shield)
Untitled.jpg

Found this for another device: So, the lead is in plastic going across, shield on one side, lead on other?
https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/stan...153275b56a7817416c8d45b3336ff9dcc0e31954.jpeg

duesentrieb

Jan 26, 2022
So what are the issues...??
In short, very bad signal. Much worse than old device it replaces, ipad in same spot, laptop with inSSIDer. Nearly impossible to get it onto 5ghz, even when forcing with dedicated SSID and even when I use a DFS channel Node will only connect whne 7 ft underneath AP. 2.4Ghz is bad as well.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
My android through the playstore offers several wifi analysers that will tell me the strength of available networks, without connecting. These will at least allow you to compare the levels seen to any other you might be able to see. For example if you can try a couple of meters form your one and compare to a reading a couple of meters from another, a friend's?, the neighbours?
Have you used one of these to confirm the router is actually at a low level? It's just that I've found so many of the issues I've seen are software rather than hardware.
Not at this point. what kind of pigtail connector would I likely need?
This was just on the off-chance that you had one available. The image looks like a connector called UFL, from memory, but still more than one that look similar. Such can be purchased.
Still if you have not positively confimred that low level is your problem, it's likely worthwhile confirming before you make a purchase and have to wait for it to arrive.

duesentrieb

Jan 26, 2022
My android through the playstore offers several wifi analysers that will tell me the strength of available networks, without connecting. These will at least allow you to compare the levels seen to any other you might be able to see. For example if you can try a couple of meters form your one and compare to a reading a couple of meters from another, a friend's?, the neighbours?
Have you used one of these to confirm the router is actually at a low level? It's just that I've found so many of the issues I've seen are software rather than hardware.

This was just on the off-chance that you had one available. The image looks like a connector called UFL, from memory, but still more than one that look similar. Such can be purchased.
Still if you have not positively confimred that low level is your problem, it's likely worthwhile confirming before you make a purchase and have to wait for it to arrive.

yes, I use inSSIDer on my laptop to analyze my network. It is more than sufficient in this location