Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I have a device that I need to turn stay on for a period of time when it gets disturbed..

havntmadeityet

Jan 26, 2021
Pretty much I have a device that I would like to turn on and stay on for lets say 5 Minutes when it gets disturbed and then turn off when its stationary for a certain amount of time. To clarify on "disturbance" I mean like the object gets bumped, picked up or moved around. I can't figure out which type of sensor I should be using or

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Look for PIR sensor.
Many types available to operate on many voltage levels.
The only disadvantage there is it will also detect movement around it.
If that is the case, use a vibration sensor or a tilt switch.
More detail on the application would give a more educated guess.
For example, a ball of fire would need some thought.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
A PIR sensor detects moving objects that have a temperature different from the environment. May work for some cases, but is imho not a good detector for movement n this case as it is abot detecting movement ob the object itself
An accelerometer mounted to the chassis of the unit to be protected is a suitable solution, but needs evaluation of the sensor signal by a microcontroller. Probably way too advanced.

Many toys use an elastic spring that connects to a stationary contact when the toy is moves (here's a more "professional" model for DIY makers). This kind of sensor is reasonably easy to handle as it is essentially a momentary switch. This can be used to trigger a monostable multivibrator based e.g. on a 555 timer chip ("negative trigger pulse" in this circuit diagram). The timing will be a bit inaccurate for such a long time, but 5 min give or take a few seconds is doable.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
If the move is to microcontroller, then an ultra sonic device or again a tilt switch.

Attachments

• U-sonic.jpg
    U-sonic.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1