Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need explanation of circuit gains I'm seeing

Trent

Apr 17, 2010
I've been designing a simple dual FET Wheatstone bridge using the website "www.falstad.com/" which allows one to draw a circuit very easily and it shows how it runs and does all the calculations. It's very simple to use.

I've attached a pic of a typical circuit.

The transistors used in the simulation are supposed to be MPF102 n-JFETs, with Vp= -8V, and a 20mA limit.

By playing with bias resistor values, I've gotten some unusual results.

The attached graph and table of my data shows a range of values for FET gain, gm, and the signal amplitudes I got for each circuit I tried.

In the very high signal amplitude circuits, the resistor settings are extremely touchy. Small changes can send the amplitude from the mV range down to the uV range.

My questions are:
1. These high signal amplitudes don't seem possible, are they a fluke of the calculations?
2. Why should circuits with low FET gain, gm, have high signal amplitudes and vice-versa?
3. Why don't the circuits with the highest gm have the highest signal amplitudes?
4. Looking at the chart, which values should I strive for? High gm but lower signal amplitude (assuming these amplitudes are actually possible)? Or, low amplitude, with high gm value?
Or, should I look at some combination of the other FET parameters?

Thanks

Attachments

• 2chuwwl.jpg
    2chuwwl.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 30cln5f.jpg
    30cln5f.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 171
  • ibvpd4.jpg
    ibvpd4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 152

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
I wonder whether it behaves the same way in the real world? Or you could try it in SPICE.

Trent

Apr 17, 2010
The only spice program I have is "5Spice" and I haven't learned how to use it fully yet. The website mentioned is easier to use.
I haven't tried this particular circuit in real life. I was hoping the simulation would help me tune it, but now I don't know which parameters to tune it to.
I don't have a signal generator so I can't measure my input vs output signals in real life.