Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need help about coil.

Nikola Bobic

Jul 26, 2016
Can someone tell what is coil for,i lear lot about it in school but i dont know what coil do in curcuit.Can someone tell me in few words something about coils and what it do in circuits.
Thanks

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
You might be better off to search for Inductor as this is what just about all coils are.
Some examples:
Relay coils.
Magnets
Solenoids
Motor winding
Transformer.
Many many more.
M.

Nikola Bobic

Jul 26, 2016
Thanks for advice,but can you tell me what it does in circuit
resistor make V drops in circuit
capacitor charge and discharge
But what coils do to circuit. :)

Attachments

• copper-coil-wrapped-around-green-circle.jpg
    copper-coil-wrapped-around-green-circle.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 77

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Like a capacitor an inductance is also a storage device, with a capacitor, the current leads the voltage, with an inductance the current lags the voltage, but there is much more to this and you should read up and study inductance and its applications.
The purposes and definition cannot be summed up in one simple explanation.
Just as capacitance cannot be summed up simply as a 'charge and discharge' device.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductance
M.

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
To oversimplify a lot. An inductor or coil "Borrows" some current to make a magnetic field. When the magnetic field stops you get the current back.

Sometimes this is used to store current for a short time, or make a delay or change a phase. Sometimes the maximum speed the coil can change current at is used to "Choke" the current from spiking.

Sometimes its the magnetic field we want to use directly. In motors, solenoids and servos etc. This is the main way the convert electrical power to mechanical work.

Or sometime we use the magnetic feild to make electricity again at different values. Or simply so two things are not connected by conductors directly. like with wireless power transmission or an isolation transformer..
We can also use this side of the effect for magnetic amplification, data storage, computing and all sorts of other things.

Its impossible to describe a typical coil. because there are many different ones that do different jobs.

Its like asking someone what are things with wheels for. You could get 100 different answers. All would be correct but none complete. If you want a clear answer you have to ask a clear question.

I have been studying coils and inductors for 4 years now. I still have more to learn than what I have already learned. Not even close to halfway. Each new discovery brings about many new questions.
If you want to know more spend some hours reading online. Then do some experimenting to confirm the theory. Rinse and repeat. One application/part at a time