Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need help in connecting a transistor to the battery terminals

ScienceBorn

Sep 26, 2013
Goodday guys, please i considered that when connecting a capacitor and resistor any ends can be used because the two electronic components are not polarised right? I later found out that transistor(n-p-n) is polarised and had to take caution in my connections.am actually building a simple receiver/trasistor amplifer which i wil post on this forum soon! MY QUESTION-will the emitter of n-p-n transistor be connected to the negative terminal of the battery and the collector to the positive terminal? If not please brief me on how the connection will go thanks.

Last edited:

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Elecrolytic capacitors ARE polarised and must be connected the right way round.

The transistor is connected the right way round but if it is connected direct to the battery there is likely to be smoke when it is turned on.

ScienceBorn

Sep 26, 2013
Thanks. I am not actually connecting the trasistor directing to the battery terminals. So you are saying that the "emitter" is connected to the -ve terminal and the "collector" to the +ve terminal of the battery right duke?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Show us a circuit diagram. That will make it a lot easier to discuss rightness or wrongness of your circuit.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
What is the error message? Didi you observe the accepted file types and sizes?

ScienceBorn

Sep 26, 2013
Yes i observed them but how does that have to do with uploading my schmatic diagram?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yes i observed them but how does that have to do with uploading my schmatic diagram?

Because your schematic must be one of the accepted file types and within the range of allowable sizes or it won't upload.

I would recommend making a JPG or PNG file and uploading that.

A screen capture, followed by cropping in pbrush and then saving as a PNG is what I use all the time.

ScienceBorn

Sep 26, 2013
Thanks for the directions, i really appreciate that alot.Here is my schmatic diagram!

Attachments

• Transistor amplifier.jpg
    Transistor amplifier.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 129

ScienceBorn

Sep 26, 2013
It is a simple receiver/transistor amplifier(which i have alread posted on this forum). The 100kilo-ohms resistor is linked with the collector of the n-p-n transistor straight to one side of the headphone and straight to the +ve terminal of the 6volts battery. The 4.7kilo-ohm resistor is linked with the emitter of the n-p-n transistor straight to the other side of the headphone and straight to the -ve terminal of the same battery.Note that i did not connect the base of the n-p-n transistor because the 100kilo-ohms resistor will do the work of the base(controling the amount of current entering the collector).I HOPE MY CONNECTIONS ARE RIGHT?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The transistor is to be connectzed exactly as shown in the diagram. Emittter is the little arrow, base is the wire to the left, connecting to the 1µF capacitor, collector is the top wire.

The 100kilo-ohms resistor is linked with the collector of the n-p-n transistor
No, it isn't. The 100k resistor is connected to the base and to +V. Between the collector of the transistor and +V there is the speaker/headphones (P).

Note that i did not connect the base of the n-p-n transistor because the 100kilo-ohms resistor will do the work of the base
Sorry, I don't understand this passage. Your resistor is tied to the base, so why do you say the base isn't connected?

ScienceBorn

Sep 26, 2013
Oh thanks for the corrections, i have seen my mistake, i know exactly what to do now, Once again thanks.