Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need help with DC power barrel jack repair

davidhighkc

Oct 18, 2018
The dc power jack broke off and Im attempting to repair it myself. It came off a LCD monitor / DVR all in one made by Lorex.
There was 6 pins total on the original jack. I think the 4 outside pins were there only for support of the plastic housing the jack was inside of. The inner 4 pins I believe were 2 positive and 2 negative. One problem is I cant find another jack that is similar to this. All I can find are the 3 pin jack. Does anyone know how I can fix this? I just want something that will work doesnt have to be perfect. My idea was to solder wires to the correct pads on the board and hook them up to a dc barrel jack screw down terminal and modify the hole in the case where the power cord originally stuck out. Im a novice at best with this but I think with a lil guidance I can do it. Anyone please help me at all. Thank you
CGYMLjQC38jPndFh6
CGYMLjQC38jPndFh6

Attachments

• 20181018_174515.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 14
  • 20181018_174819.jpg
    743.3 KB · Views: 13

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Photos of the board before you destroyed it would have helped.
Suggest local tech might have luck tracing what went where.

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
Did you take a Dremel tool to that? why? Picture of what is left of the connector and the mating end might help.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
A wide picture of the area would help but generally you can take wires from across the main input smoothing capacitor straight to the power jack.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir davidhighkc . . . . .

You [Start 150 Font typeset] AIN'T [End 150 Font typeset] ever coming anywhere near my operating room . . . . . . . .the Dr. has spoken . . . .
Nevah, nevah, nevah evah . . . . . do that to a ground plane board, with its interconnective thru the board vias.

NOW . . .

Go to the 2 o'clock position from the connector and hopefully, expect that floating pad to have an electrolytic capacitor on the other side of the board, thus accounting for the two shared wire connections sticking up from the board.
Suspicioning . . . . . the left wire to be the + and the one within the ground plane is being the negative / ground connection.

Other possibility, that is being a sacrificial power supply diode in case of a misapplied power polarity connection . . . . however, I'm betting on it being the electrolytic..

Thaaaaaaaasit . . .

73's de Edd