Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need help with powering a rear view camera all of the time while driving...

Hi, my name is Dan and I am glad I have found this group. I want to installa rear view camera on my dad's ford ranger truck (2001), But I want it working at all times while the truck is running. He needs to be able to see traffic behind him while driving and of course needs to see behind the truck while driving in reverse. He is getting the effects of old age and he need to drive safely. I have a rear view camera kit that is wireless and he has a camper on his truck that blocks his rear view mirror. Can someone give mesome information on connecting the rear view camera to the truck's electrical wiring for this purpose? Is there a power socket or power supply wire in the rear of the truck that I can splice into (not the blinking lights ones of course)? I tried doing searches for pin out and socket location information already and the best I got was a pdf containing wire color descriptions and related information but nothing on where to start doing this. No real usable information in what I found, the rear power pin outs/wire descriptions were left out except for the license plate light which only works at night. I am great with basic electronics and prefer to find these things outbefore using an ohm meter / voltmeter on his truck - he won't let me thinking I would damage it so I need to know where to start first I believe. anyway - thanks!

T

Tom Biasi

Jan 1, 1970
Hi, my name is Dan and I am glad I have found this group. I want to install a rear view camera on my dad's ford ranger truck (2001), But I want it working at all times while the truck is running. He needs to be able to see traffic behind him while driving and of course needs to see behind the truck while driving in reverse. He is getting the effects of old age and he need to drive safely. I have a rear view camera kit that is wireless and he has a camper on his truck that blocks his rear view mirror. Can someone give me some information on connecting the rear view camera to the truck's electrical wiring for this purpose? Is there a power socket or power supply wire in the rear of the truck that I can splice into (not the blinking lights ones of course)? I tried doing searches for pin out and socket location information already and the best I got was a pdf containing wire color descriptions and related information but nothing on where to start doing this. No real usable information
in what I found, the rear power pin outs/wire descriptions were left out except for the license plate light which only works at night. I am great with basic electronics and prefer to find these things out before using an ohm meter / voltmeter on his truck - he won't let me thinking I would damage it so I need to know where to start first I believe. anyway - thanks!How about the cigarette lighter.

Unless the truck has a socket for trailer wiring that includes a charging

wire for the trailer brakes, then you'll have to run a wire.

You want to tap into a circuit that's on whenever the engine is. That

means something like the radio. Often the fuse block will have an

"accessories" circuit; if yours does, that's what you want to use.

If you can get a Hayes manual for the truck, or a shop manual, it'll have

a wiring diagram. It probably won't be 100% accurate, but it should give

you some idea of what circuits are there, when they're on, and where the

wires might go. Then it's up to you to put a tap in and run a wire to

the back of the truck.

--

Tim Wescott

Wescott Design Services

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Thanks guys! I will look for a wiring harness or something in the back of the truck, underneath everything I guess, then run a wire along that to the cab then maybe connect to the cigarette lighter.

T

Tom Biasi

Jan 1, 1970
Thanks guys! I will look for a wiring harness or something in the back of the truck, underneath everything I guess, then run a wire along that to the cab then maybe connect to the cigarette lighter.
Don't forget to fuse it near the source.

T

Tom Biasi

Jan 1, 1970
Hi, my name is Dan and I am glad I have found this group. I want to install a rear view camera on my dad's ford ranger truck (2001), But I want it working at all times while the truck is running. He needs to be able to see traffic behind him while driving and of course needs to see behind the truck while driving in reverse. He is getting the effects of old age and he need to drive safely. I have a rear view camera kit that is wireless and he has a camper on his truck that blocks his rear view mirror. Can someone give me some information on connecting the rear view camera to the truck's electrical wiring for this purpose? Is there a power socket or power supply wire in the rear of the truck that I can splice into (not the blinking lights ones of course)? I tried doing searches for pin out and socket location information already and the best I got was a pdf containing wire color descriptions and related information but nothing on where to start doing this. No real usable information
in what I found, the rear power pin outs/wire descriptions were left out except for the license plate light which only works at night. I am great with basic electronics and prefer to find these things out before using an ohm meter / voltmeter on his truck - he won't let me thinking I would damage it so I need to know where to start first I believe. anyway - thanks!Just a side note:
If your dad is going to be looking into the monitor facing forward, he
most likely will be expecting what he would see in a mirror. The camera
will not show that view but will show a view as if he was looking out
the back. This is addressable with some units.