Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I need to locate a millisecond delay timer / multi circuit /relay

Don Farrall

Nov 11, 2014
I am working on a project that requires operating a series of small DC solenoids on and off in a sequence with the ability to set the on and off times with in 1/10 to 1/100 of a second. I know something can be built, but I have a very short time line and wonder if there are any multi channel devices that would just allow me to wire up 5-6 small DV devices and to independently control when they would engage and disengage. I can find components for constructing this, but I just don't have the time and need to work on the other aspects of the project. Can anyone point me in the correct direction to look for such a device? Possibly a device for setting up experiments? I will be driving small pneumatic devices. My father was an electronics engineer and he would have known, or could have put one together in a snap, but he is no longer alive. Thanks for any help.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
I am working on a project that requires operating a series of small DC solenoids on and off in a sequence with the ability to set the on and off times with in 1/10 to 1/100 of a second. I know something can be built, but I have a very short time line and wonder if there are any multi channel devices that would just allow me to wire up 5-6 small DV devices and to independently control when they would engage and disengage. I can find components for constructing this, but I just don't have the time and need to work on the other aspects of the project. Can anyone point me in the correct direction to look for such a device? Possibly a device for setting up experiments? I will be driving small pneumatic devices. My father was an electronics engineer and he would have known, or could have put one together in a snap, but he is no longer alive. Thanks for any help.
When you are talking about multi-channel devices, do you mean you would like something to sit in-line with the solenoid and the output to create the delay?
My first though was using a microcontroller... as you could easily time the delay for each solenoid to turn on, to hold on, etc. Programming becomes a little more difficult though if the 'brains' behind your project already exists and you simply want something to sit in the middle though.

Don Farrall

Nov 11, 2014
Thanks for your quick response. I didn't have much time to write the post this morning. Here is what I need to do. This is not an invention or a permanent setup. I need to be able to engage a series of small solenoids. I need to be able to send an initial start by closing a circuit. Then I need to be able to set, up to 6 solenoids, to open and then close, each with their own delay and open duration. Very short. I need to be able to set each one individually so that I can control the flow of air in short bursts, and most importantly, I need to be able to make quick changes in how they are set. I need to be able to set the start times, relative to the start, and the durations quickly and easily. This isn't something that I can spend a lot of time tuning for reaching an eventual single end result, I need to be able to make the changes in a matter of turning a few dials or punching in a few numbers. I have a single delay device like this now, but I will be using it as the triggering point for the start. It has a digital readout and lets me set the delay easily. I am finding things like this on line, but most of them are controllers for lights etc, and the shortest duration that they can be set for is 1 second. I need durations close to 1/10 of a second. To answer your question, yes I am expecting them to be electrically in line with the solenoids. The final setup can be a mess, it won't be a long term device that has to perform for a long period of time or be something "presentable" I will only be using it in a set location for a few days. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Don

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
You don't happen to have an old laptop with a built-in parallel port do you? The female 25-pin D-sub connector type? I could knock up a small MS-DOS app that you could put on a bootable floppy or CD-ROM (or if the laptop boots MS-DOS, even better) that would take input and generate outputs on the parallel connector. Timing down to 1/1000th of a second is easy.

You could feed your existing timer into a parallel port input (using a dry contact or a 5V signal, if it has one) and use a ULN2003 (Google it) to drive the solenoids if they're small and only need current in one direction to energise.

Don Farrall

Nov 11, 2014
I don't think this is an option for me. i'm still thinking that something ready made that will do this exists. Looking for leads. But thanks for giving this some thought.

Don Farrall

Nov 11, 2014
This is exactly what I need, but... it's in india, and appears to operate on 220. I have tried to contact them, but their contact form doesn't work, keeps giving me fits about my cell phone number not being correct and won't accept the inquiry. Not too concerned about the price, but need to get something in my hands. Anything like this out there a little closer to home? Still it is exactly what I was asking for... (except for the 220 issue)

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Sorry, I didn't notice India.

Do a search for "sequential timer", that is how I found that one and I am sure there must be others.

bob

pilko

Dec 8, 2012
Millisecond sequential timers are used extensively by explosives demolition companies and fireworks display companies.
You may be able to rent one from them or get one from their supplier.

pilko